Molded Foot Rest or Footpegs ?

lamar

Molded Foot Rest or Footpegs ?

Post by lamar »

What are some of the pro's and con's to the molded foot rest or the adjustable foot pegs ? Do you have a problem with water holding in the molded foot rest ?
Thanks
Lamar
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

You can actually have both - you have to to have a rudder UNLESS you're in a Hobie (I'm sure someone would point this out...).

Pros - Some people like them. Place to brace your heel and not just your foot

Negs - Some people don't like them. Can catch the back of your leg.

A lot of the newer yaks are doing away with them to make standing easier. Little less plastic involved so a small savings in manufacturing maybe? Or maybe more plastic involved to stiffen up the floor. Seems like foot wells would help with this.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

My OK SPTW comes standard with molded footrests with the option to install adjustable footrests if one wants them or are needed for a rudder installation. I don't use a rudder so I just use the molded footrests. I actually prefer the molded type since I owned a WS T-140 and the adjustable pegs come standard with this yak. I broke off the T-140's starboard side footpeg when I pushed too hard against it. Just comes down to what others have said and will say, personal preference.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

When I use thick soled wade boots I tend to use a boat with the adjustable pegs since there is more room for my heel, but when I am just using a thin boaters sock or a neoprene booty I like the molded in footwells since I can get a better push with my feet. I also like the way the Hobie Quest foot wells are done, they are an adjustable type of peg that covers the whole width and length of your foot making for a durable and comfortable fit. I hope this helps some.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I have had both on the two kayaks I have had to date. Neither one seemed to be a major advantage or disadvantage. It seemed to me that I got more leverage with the foot wells, but I have pegs now and they work ok. Sometimes I wonder if they are going to hold with all the pressure I put on them in the surf, but so far they work well.

If you get a yak with foot wells, it is important that you paddle it first to make sure your leg length isn't between two of the wells.........I have paddled some kayaks where the wells were too far or too close and I never got comfortable........but that didn't happen with the one I owned.