what about inflatble kayak ?

strus_fr

what about inflatble kayak ?

Post by strus_fr »

Hi,
I am in texas for 2 or 3 years, then I will have to go back in France.
It seems that kayak fishing is very fun here. So, why not buying a kayak.
The problem is that I would like to it back in France in 2 or 3 years... that
is why I though about inflatable kayak.
Did anyone try one's ?
I have seen one pretty cool at sportsmans warehouse, around 385dollars I think.
Do you think this is a good solution ? ... if I have a good pump .... :-)
CypressAg83
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CypressAg83 »

I doubt if inflatable kayaks would tolerate the primary sites one would fish in saltwater bays (oyster reefs) or freshwater lakes (rocks, limbs & stumps). They might be alright for open-water areas, where few obsticles would be encountered (except maybe a hook - if you're fishing).

Also (from a fishing perspective), it might be a challenge to stow and transport the gear that one would want to have available.

But, if you're dead-set on an inflatable, you might check out this CraigsList item.... http://houston.craigslist.org/spo/246489832.html. I have no idea what model it might be - but the price sounds very cheap ($50).
TrailShoe

Inflatable Canoe & Kayaks

Post by TrailShoe »

Canoe and Kayak magazine did an article on New-Generation Inflatables in Oct 06. From what I read the inflatables have gotten better. Prices were $700 to $2400 in the reviews.

Like CypressAG83 said

I doubt if inflatable kayaks would tolerate the primary sites one would fish in saltwater bays (oyster reefs) or freshwater lakes (rocks, limbs & stumps). They might be alright for open-water areas, where few obsticles would be encountered (except maybe a hook - if you're fishing).

You can get a solid hull for same or much less that will work in this area.

TS
CypressAg83
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Inflatable Canoe & Kayaks

Post by CypressAg83 »

TrailShoe wrote:You can get a solid hull for same or much less that will work in this area.

True; but the solid hulls would pose a big issue when it comes time to board the plane back to France. Even folding-hull inflatables would pose a similar problem.
http://www.bicsportkayaks.com/kayaks/yakka_range.php?lang=us#

Back to the original question, it might be best to invest in a "used" SOT while state-side, and then recover as much of its value as possible (sell it) before going back across the big waters.
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

Also, remember that inflatables are almost always more susceptible to wind.