Pelican castaway

Kickngringo

Pelican castaway

Post by Kickngringo »

Anyone familiar w/the Pelican Castaway 116? Positives/Negatives?

It is on the low end of cost and you do get what you pay for, but is it worth it for a new kayak angler?

Any input is appreciated.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

Gringo
This the best forum to get honest feedback. I do not own one but my three yakin buddies do and they like it. It is worth the price. It gets you where you need to go and it is stable.plus you have all you need to go get on the water. Rod holders etc..

You know that this is a two piece yak and some people don't like that. IMO..if you take care of it it should last.

I do own a Pelican tandem.and I have enjoyed it with my daughter.

Bottom line...its a starting yak and you can always upgrade.... Just get on the water and enjoy!

....Let's go Fishin....Coco...
bighoss

Post by bighoss »

Gringo,
That is also my first yak, & I have had no problems. I am new to kayak fishing & want to get the feel for it without droping alot of cash. If it gets you on the water, go for it.
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

I have paddled a couple and they are a great boat.
Stability is good, tracking is okay. The paddle it comes with just plain flat out sucks! You will have to do a little work to the front hatch to get a really good seal. That is the only real downfall of this boat. The first generation did not have this problem(IF YOU KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY CLOSE A BUCKLE HATCH), but for some reason, the second generation you have to add some type of seal to the hatch lip. I have done them with door moldings and one buddy of mine used 1/4" vacuum hose slit down one side as a gaskey and it is working great.

You will get alot of stupid comments like, "You have to spend $$$$.oo to get a good boat." Those usually come from guys that have never tried any of the lower cost boats.

Remember it is all about having a good time.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

I personally don't like the Pelican boats, they are made so that they can't be plastic welded and if you can get them to weld it tends to leave a weak spot on the boat, I feel that there are many other kayaks on the market that are much better. depending on what the price is on it and what it comes it you would be better off buying something used or just saving for a little longer and getting a boat that will really be the one you want. The castaway is an ok boat if you only want it for a short time, if you are looking for a long term boat that won't give you any problems I would suggest the Hobie line or the LL Manta Ray. I hope this helps you to make a more educated decision.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

I personally don't like the Pelican boats, they are made so that they can't be plastic welded and if you can get them to weld it tends to leave a weak spot on the boat, I feel that there are many other kayaks on the market that are much better. depending on what the price is on it and what it comes it you would be better off buying something used or just saving for a little longer and getting a boat that will really be the one you want. The castaway is an ok boat if you only want it for a short time, if you are looking for a long term boat that won't give you any problems I would suggest the Hobie line or the LL Manta Ray. I hope this helps you to make a more educated decision.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
Kickngringo

Post by Kickngringo »

The criticism you offer seems consistent with other reviews I have read on the net. It does appear some tweaking is possible on the front hatch and I assume a better and longer paddle would be necessary. How 'bout water in the boat. I have read that many believe the scupper holes are shallow and basically worthless.

Your continued input is appreciated.

P.S. I know I won't get the best of all worlds here, but just making the best informed decision I can regarding this particular model.
txdiamond17

Post by txdiamond17 »

kickingringo, my advice is to go with the best you can afford. The main thing to remeber is all the stuff that goes with the yak. I just bought a OK Speck from academy after 8 months of back and forth. The yak was 399, but I left out with nearly 700 dollar bill. Seat $89, paddle $89, PFD $55, rope, odds and ends, whistle, light etc. All this stuff adds up quick. I know there are cheaper things, but I wanted stuff I would be happy with that would transfer to another boat. The deal is, all this stuff, no matter what you spend, will give you the best time on the water you have ever had. It did for me. As for the Pelican, I don't know. I opted for the Ocean because they are a highly reputable company. I knew the kayak was well made, and if it wasn't what I was looking for, maybe I could get more of my money back when I sold it. But, I won't sell it, it is a great boat and my wife and friends can use it when/if I upgrade to something else. More than likely, for the money, I would get my wife a Speck as well. I only use it in freshwater, so it works well for me. Only thing is I get a wet butt most of the time. Good luck in your decision. :D
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

I am 200 pound and did not have any problems with water in the boat. Though a couple of the guys have plugged the scuppers, and keep them plugged because we try to go out year round and cold water just plain sucks. :lol:
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

I agree that you should get what is best for you and the money. The outfitting is the most costly part but if you come by our shop, I'm not to sure about some of the other paddle shops, but the labor cost for outfitting is free when you purchase the boat. Flush mounts will run about $10 each and Scotty or Tite-lok mounts go from $19-36, and all can be easily installed, backrest can run upto $110 depending on the amount of cushion and the height of the back rest, also some come with storage and rodholders. We carry paddles for every class of yaker out there and you can get a great fiberglass shaft with nylon blades for about $125. Also remember all TKF members receive a 10% discount on all add ons and accessories. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600