Starting fresh

Kickngringo

Starting fresh

Post by Kickngringo »

New to this whole thing.........

I think I would like a OKProwlerAngler13. It seems suitable and conducive to what I want to do.....fish the Laguna MadreBay, the hill country and hit the stock ponds of East TExas. Is the above mentioned kayak a good one? Honest, fellas.

I am 5'11, 220. I can't wait to get in a yak. You'alls criticism is appreciated. I just want to make a (the) good decision.

Thanks
Gringo
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

A OK Prowler 13 is a very good yak. Even with said, you need to demo it to see if you like it. I prefer a plain P-13 without the flush mounted rod holders that comes standard on the P-13 Angler version, but this is just personal preference on my part because I fish corrosive saltwater and wave action has a tendency to splash my reels if they are close to the water.
riverrat88

Post by riverrat88 »

by all mean try it before you buy. Even if it just in a tank or pool like what FTU have. I perfer a base model and rig it out how I feel is best. Best thing is to wait before rigging. Go out a few time in your kayak before you start putting hole into it. Good luck.
riverrat88

Post by riverrat88 »

by all mean try it before you buy. Even if it just in a tank or pool like what FTU have. I perfer a base model and rig it out how I feel is best. Best thing is to wait before rigging. Go out a few time in your kayak before you start putting hole into it. Good luck.
riverrat88

Post by riverrat88 »

SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

I agree with the suggestion about trying before you buy, and it is always good to take it out a few times and see what will really work for you, what you need and what just gets in the way. I do however have to disagree about the flush mounts being extremely wet on your reels, I spend an average of 5 days a week on the water and in my opinion if it is choppy enough to soak my reels in a flush mount, then the extra inch and a half that a Scotty or something like that would give is still going to get wet. If you are worried that your reel may have gotten some water on it, when you get home wash it off let it dry and then add some lubricant to it. I wash my reels off after every trip and don't have any problems. For the most part, unless running into the surf, you shouldn't have any problem with splash getting on your reels. I hope this helps, and by no means did I want to offend anyone with my comments just wanted to let ya know my opinion.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

The reels won't get wet if the rods are mounted in rocket launcher type rod holders and those rod holders are zip tied to the corner of a milk crate or facsimile container where the milk crate is placed in the yak's tankwell. I don't use a scotty type rod holder on my SPTW.