peddal vs. paddle

freshfish

peddal vs. paddle

Post by freshfish »

My wife and I are thinking of purchasing a tandem kayak, but wanted to get a little input of pros and cons of a pedal kayaks. I heard all the horror stories of divorce boats, but my wife is my fishing buddy and I don't think we will have that problem. Is there anything you can not do in a pedal kayak that you can do in a paddle kayak? Can you use a pedal Kayak in the surf? Finally, what is the difference between the Hobie Outfitter and the Oasis? We will be primarily using it in the bay but would like the option to yak a bait out in the surf occasionally. Thanks in advance for any input. John
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

In my opinion, there are several things you can do in a paddle yak that you can't do in a peddled yak:

You can paddle in very skinny water where as a paddled yak need at least 18" of water.

You can steer without a rudder, where as a peddled yak needs a rudder.

You can probably go faster in a peddled yak and you do have both hands pretty much free to do what you want.

If I were getting a tandem kayak, I would for sure consider a peddled yak. You probably won't get in each other way as much as you would with a paddle.
fowlwaters

Post by fowlwaters »

Ask Noneck about the peddles in the surf.
carlton

Post by carlton »

Mythman wrote:In my opinion, there are several things you can do in a paddle yak that you can't do in a peddled yak:

You can paddle in very skinny water where as a paddled yak need at least 18" of water.

Hobie mirage drive pedal kayaks come standard equipment with a paddle.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

The pedals will work in the surf just need to lock them in place while in the surf zone and use the paddles, once through the surf zone you can use the pedals. The pedals actually work well to control a steady troll speed if looking for kings or dorado. Mythman, you can still take the pedal kayak in skinny water, you just lock the pedals and use the paddle until you get in deeper water, the Hobie boats come with paddle keepers and you should always keep the paddle with you, since the pedals don't have a reverse. I do agree with you that a pedal tandem is better in long run for couples than a paddle one. The pedals also allow for easy mobility almost like a trolling motor.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
Bluffer
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Bluffer »

carlton wrote:
Mythman wrote:In my opinion, there are several things you can do in a paddle yak that you can't do in a peddled yak:

Hobie mirage drive pedal kayaks come standard equipment with a paddle.
and a seat & rudder also. When you get into skinny water just keep the fins in the upward posistion & switch to your paddle there.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Well said Bluffer.

Chris
Noneck

Post by Noneck »

do not, do not use the pedals in a surf launch. if pedals are installed be SURE and lock them up. breaking waves will pull them straight down, when the wave drops you it will drop on the pedals and they will break. also keep your rudder up in a surf launch. that was the BAD. the good is when you are a long way from where you want to be, even against the wind, them petals and rudder sure are nice. i also have a sail with mine. when i go BTB i use my F N D, MORE STABLE IMHO
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Noneck wrote:do not, do not use the pedals in a surf launch. if pedals are installed be SURE and lock them up. breaking waves will pull them straight down, when the wave drops you it will drop on the pedals and they will break. also keep your rudder up in a surf launch. that was the BAD. the good is when you are a long way from where you want to be, even against the wind, them petals and rudder sure are nice. i also have a sail with mine. when i go BTB i use my F N D, MORE STABLE IMHO

This man knows what he is talking about, I was there!
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Yep and I fixed it, as long as they are locked in place you will have no problems, anyone who would like to try this out let me know and we can try to set up a demo for ya down at the beach. Next week I will be in CC with a few boats if anyone would like to try it out. Let me know so we can schedule a time.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600