What size/brand paddle for 200 at FTU?

eweberdc
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

What size/brand paddle for 200 at FTU?

Post by eweberdc »

I know there is a huge paddle selection out there, and you should really try to test before you buy, but I've still got a question or two.

At 6'3" should I be using a 230 or 240 cm paddle?

If it matters, I'm on a Tarpon 140 w/ rudder. I am currently using a 220 sea sense-inexpensive starter paddle, as per Mrs. B's advice-and I can get my yak moving, but it seems like it is more work than it ought to be. I would like this to be my back-up. I've got about $200 credit at FTU, and would like to use it for a good paddle that will last me a long time.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Erik
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

First off, I am no paddle expert, but by consulting several paddle sites and their sizing chart, I think at 6'3' with a 28" wide yak, either the 230 or 240 will work for you.

Probably, you just need to find a paddle you are comfortable with. Similar to watches, there are ranges in quality and price from timex to Rolex......they all however tell time........same with paddles, they all pull you forward......some better then others and some seem priced to satisfy ego trips. Unfortunately, trying different paddles is even more difficult than then trying yaks.

I would suggest make a tournament weigh-in (like S&S this weekend) and see if you can paddle your yak with a variety of other's paddles.

I have a 240 paddle made by a major paddle mfg. and if ever around me and the water, you are welcome to try my paddle.
Doug Poudre
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Doug Poudre »

I would say come up with another fifty and get one of the AT carbon/kevlar fish sticks. It's a bent shaft and might take some getting used to, but they are nice. Light weight and strong.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Width of yak is just one variable for selecting a paddle. The style of paddling, low or high angle is another to consider. I'm 5' 9" and a skinny 141 pounds (now) and I found I paddled a WS T-140 easily with a 220 paddle and with my low angle style of paddling.
eweberdc
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by eweberdc »

I seem to paddle high, but of course I have no idea what the correct form is. If body build matters with a paddle, I'm 6'3 190...about average build, I guess.
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

scanoochdc
I have a 230cm AT Carbon paddle and a 240cm carbon straight shaft paddle. I plan on being at High Island Sat BTB if the wind and waves are OK if not dragging for flatties somewhere. Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up and try both paddles.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Good article on paddling styles.

http://www.paddles.com/library/basics3.html
eweberdc
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by eweberdc »

Thanks for the offers to try out your paddles, but I'll be working Saturday, and entertaining the old lady all day Sunday.

Appreciate the heads-up on the article, as well, it's a big help.

Tight lines to all,
Erik
altonr77

Post by altonr77 »

someone once told me to buy the lightest stiffest paddle u can afford. also u should try different legths. I paddled a longer touring paddle for years and finaly one day decided I was pushing too much paddle under water and cut my paddle down. it felt a little better. then just kept cutting till it felt right. I would not do this with an expensive paddle by the way. I am 5-8 150# and paddle a 28" wide boat use a high angle stroke and use a 210.
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Erik,

For your height, I think you'd need the 240 CM paddle. I recommended the SeaSense paddle as a starter, and it comes in 220, 230, and 240 CM lengths. At that time, I didn't know how tall you are. When you showed me the one you bought, I realized it would be too short for you.

Maybe you could post on the Classified forum that you'd like to trade your 220 CM paddle for a 240 CM paddle, of equal value. Even as a backup paddle, you'd want it to be the right length for you (if possible).

For your upgrade paddle, go to FTU and talk with Ruben. He won't steer you wrong. (Also, ask for a TKF discount. :wink: )

Mrs. B
eweberdc
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by eweberdc »

You did nothing but right by me by recommending that paddle, Mrs. B. It got me going very inexpensively. Problem was, they only had the 220, and couldn't find a longer one anywhere in the area. I think I'll keep the shorter one for my girlfriend or any of the many other smaller folk that might end up paddling my yak. And I will make it a point to look up Ruben next time I'm in FTU.

Tight lines (and cold backsides, for now),
Erik
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

YOu have a lot of experts giving advice but

Post by JimD »

You have a lot of experts giving advice but I would recomend that you go down and get Ruben and Peter to earn their money. Talk with the boys on what they recomend and go out to the pool and get in a kayak like yours and paddle around some with each paddle.

It is not the bay but it will give you some idea of what each feels like and they all feel a little different.