stupid question?

luna nueva
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

stupid question?

Post by luna nueva »

im very new to kayaks and just have a question about the holes on the bottom. what are they for? do i need to plug them? thanks alot
Hookem
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Hookem »

They are scuppers! I don't plug mine, but some people do. they drain water out, but some just let water in... :?

Tony
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

Sit on Top kayaks are self bailing water crafts. The holes are reffered to as scupper holes and allow water that enters the kayak to drain back out. The scupper holes also add strenght and support to the kayak.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

I have never had to plug the scuppers. I just figure it is a wet sport and plan to get a little wet.

With duck season opening should qualify this post and state:
That holes on the yaks MAY be stray shot from a few errant hunters (props to Dick Cheney).

If the holes are random, small, and scattered over the yak then these holes are stray shot and you should look for a floating fisherman to give immediate first aid to.

If they are large, patterned then they are indeed scuppers and part of the design of the kayak, return to fishing.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

IMHO, there are no"stupid questions". As mentioned above the scupper holes are for water the gets in the SOTs to drain back out. Some yaks that have an extreme low center of gravity (think stability) or a yak over loaded with weight will allow the scuppers to take in water and make the cockpit of the yak wet. When this happens, some people plug their scuppers, but that defeats them draining out any additional water.

A personal opinion, if you have to plug them you got the wrong yak, for your weight.