Hello Newbies

snookdude
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: RGV-Edinburg, TX. Puro Pinche Bobcats! Now in Pearland TX. Home of the fighting pears.

Hello Newbies

Post by snookdude »

Name is Ruben and I work at FTU (Fishing Tackle Unlimited), we based out of Houston. We sell Wilderness Systems, Heritage, Native, Perception, Mad River and Hobie kayaks. Our objective is to get customers in the right kayak, even if we don't sell it. The important thing is the make the customer happy and get them in a kayak that fits their needs. So if you have any questions please call us 281-481-6838 or send me a PM. I don't mind answering any questions, no questions is ever dumb. So please give me a call if you have any questions.

From Doug Poudre at FTU:
To expand on the boat lines a little bit, I'll try to give you an idea of the models we carry in each line and some ideas about the general use of each.

Starting out with Wilderness:

Tarpon 160, 140, 120, 100
Sit-on-top with tupperware style front hatch and tankwell in back.
These boats have become a standard against which most boats are compared. This doesn't make them the best boat for everyone, but they are well designed and great boats to paddle on lakes, bays and for the slightly more adventurous, beyond the breakers. These boats are not designed for surf, but an experienced paddler can handle them just fine.
The 160, 140 & 120 can be equipped with a rudder.

Ride 135
An improvement on an old designed that is incredibly stable, this SOT has a similar top deck layout to the Tarpon series with a pontoon hull that has a keel that runs the length of the boat. These two ideas make for a very stable (yes, you can stand in it) and efficient boat. For someone looking for a high load capacity and a stable platform, this is worth taking a look at. This boat can be equipped with a rudder

Ripper
This is a kids boat along the lines of the Tarpon series.

Kaos
This is more or less a SOT surf board. It's meant to play in the surf, but should be considered for running baits and having fun on the way back in.

Other Wilderness kayaks
We also carry a couple of decked boats and tandems in the Wilderness line. If you are interested in them, give us a call and we can discuss them further.
www.wildernesssystems.com

New from Perception, we have:

Search 13 & 15
These are new from Perception in '07. These boat are a redesign of a decked boat, the Carolina. These boats were designed as SOT with a higher volume in the bow to allow the kayak to ride up over a wave instead of punch through it. This design feature will be beneficial in the surf zone, but it will be great for the bays and lakes also. These kayaks have a tupperware style front hatch and tankwell in the rear. These kayaks can be fitted with rudders.
www.kayaker.com

Madriver has been a front runner in the canoe industry and this year introduced a canyak or kaynoe. This idea combines the high, dry sides of a canoe with the low center of gravity and seating of a kayak. The Synergy 120 & 140 need to be seen to be fully appreciated, but they will make for a dry ride anytime of year. And if you can believe it, the rear take well has been played with to be turned into a live baitwell.

From Hobie we have:

Outback Fish
This was the original "big boy" Mirage drive kayak from Hobie. It incorporates the Mirage drive in to a 33" wide, 12'6" long kayak. The Mirage drive allows you to peddle hands-free. With minor adjustments to the rudder, you can cover more ground and fish the entire time.

Revolution Fish
This is the Quest with a Mirage drive. With its easy to access toliet bowl front hatch, a large tankwell and built in holders, this is a package deal that only requires rods to get you fishing on the water.

Quest Fish
This is a 13' kayak that has everything you need but the rods for fishing. It does not include the Mirage drive nor can it be upgraded with one, but with as comfortable and stable as this boat is, you won't need it. It has a easily accessed front hatch, flush rod holders and large tankwell. This boat can be outfitted with a rudder.

From Heritage we have:
Marquesa 14 & Redfish 12 & 14
This is a great boat. It is very stable, has a great cockpit and standard seat. It has a front hatch and rear tankwell. There is no difference between the two hulls, but the Redfish comes from the factor with rigging for fishing.

Last and certainly not least is the Native Ultimate 12 & 14.5. This is also a modified canoe with kayak seating. It has a pontoon design for the bottom of the hull which makes it very easy to stand in. This is a great boat for calm days on open water and an excellent craft for the protected back bays, lakes and rivers. The Ultimate 12 is a solo boat and the Ultimate 14.5 is set up for tandem but can easily be made into a solo boat. With a very interesting gunnel system, this boat has great potential for fishing or hunting.

If you have any questions, feel free to swing by or call. When I'm not in school for nursing, I'm in the store, helping people to improve their time on the water.
Sledgehammer

Post by Sledgehammer »

FTU is a great place to get anything you need for your kayak or fishing trip. There is always someone there to answer any questions you have (they actually know what there talking about :P ) Every time I've sent Ruben a pm he has always replied. I would definitely recommend anyone to make a trip to FTU for there next kayak purchase.

Ryan
double dip
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by double dip »

Ruben goes well above and beyond to help you with your yak. I recommend him highly.

DD
Doug Poudre
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Doug Poudre »

To expand on the boat lines a little bit, I'll try to give you an idea of the models we carry in each line and some ideas about the general use of each.

Starting out with Wilderness:

Tarpon 160, 140, 120, 100
Sit-on-top with tupperware style front hatch and tankwell in back.
These boats have become a standard against which most boats are compared. This doesn't make them the best boat for everyone, but they are well designed and great boats to paddle on lakes, bays and for the slightly more adventurous, beyond the breakers. These boats are not designed for surf, but an experienced paddler can handle them just fine.
The 160, 140 & 120 can be equipped with a rudder.

Ride 135
An improvement on an old designed that is incredibly stable, this SOT has a similar top deck layout to the Tarpon series with a pontoon hull that has a keel that runs the length of the boat. These two ideas make for a very stable (yes, you can stand in it) and efficient boat. For someone looking for a high load capacity and a stable platform, this is worth taking a look at. This boat can be equipped with a rudder

Ripper
This is a kids boat along the lines of the Tarpon series.

Kaos
This is more or less a SOT surf board. It's meant to play in the surf, but should be considered for running baits and having fun on the way back in.

Other Wilderness kayaks
We also carry a couple of decked boats and tandems in the Wilderness line. If you are interested in them, give us a call and we can discuss them further.
http://www.wildernesssystems.com

New from Perception, we have:

Search 13 & 15
These are new from Perception in '07. These boat are a redesign of a decked boat, the Carolina. These boats were designed as SOT with a higher volume in the bow to allow the kayak to ride up over a wave instead of punch through it. This design feature will be beneficial in the surf zone, but it will be great for the bays and lakes also. These kayaks have a tupperware style front hatch and tankwell in the rear. These kayaks can be fitted with rudders.
http://www.kayaker.com

Madriver has been a front runner in the canoe industry and this year introduced a canyak or kaynoe. This idea combines the high, dry sides of a canoe with the low center of gravity and seating of a kayak. The Synergy 120 & 140 need to be seen to be fully appreciated, but they will make for a dry ride anytime of year. And if you can believe it, the rear take well has been played with to be turned into a live baitwell.

From Hobie we have:

Outback Fish
This was the original "big boy" Mirage drive kayak from Hobie. It incorporates the Mirage drive in to a 33" wide, 12'6" long kayak. The Mirage drive allows you to peddle hands-free. With minor adjustments to the rudder, you can cover more ground and fish the entire time.

Revolution Fish
This is the Quest with a Mirage drive. With its easy to access toliet bowl front hatch, a large tankwell and built in holders, this is a package deal that only requires rods to get you fishing on the water.

Quest Fish
This is a 13' kayak that has everything you need but the rods for fishing. It does not include the Mirage drive nor can it be upgraded with one, but with as comfortable and stable as this boat is, you won't need it. It has a easily accessed front hatch, flush rod holders and large tankwell. This boat can be outfitted with a rudder.

From Heritage we have:
Marquesa 14 & Redfish 12 & 14
This is a great boat. It is very stable, has a great cockpit and standard seat. It has a front hatch and rear tankwell. There is no difference between the two hulls, but the Redfish comes from the factor with rigging for fishing.

Last and certainly not least is the Native Ultimate 12 & 14.5. This is also a modified canoe with kayak seating. It has a pontoon design for the bottom of the hull which makes it very easy to stand in. This is a great boat for calm days on open water and an excellent craft for the protected back bays, lakes and rivers. The Ultimate 12 is a solo boat and the Ultimate 14.5 is set up for tandem but can easily be made into a solo boat. With a very interesting gunnel system, this boat has great potential for fishing or hunting.

If you have any questions, feel free to swing by or call. When I'm not in school for nursing, I'm in the store, helping people to improve their time on the water.