Scupper Pro TW

ash78626

Scupper Pro TW

Post by ash78626 »

I am thinking about buying a used SPTW. I am new to the kayak world. I have some experience with canoes and have had an OT Rush for a couple of months. I have gotten interested in salt water fishing and want a kayak that will be handle distance a little better. I can see myself in the flats, both wading and casting from the boat. I also want to have at least one experience out in the Gulf.

Since I live near Austin, the boat will be used a lot for freshwater fishing in our local lakes.

I haven't acually tried the SPTW yet and certainly will before I commit, but would be very interested in your opinions about the appropriateness of the boat for what I want to do with it. To be honest, I really have no idea what I will be doing in salt water, but I don't want to buy something that will limit my fishing from the start.
Hookem
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Hookem »

As far as i have heard, it is a great kayak! and lots of ppl were upset when OK stoped making it.!!
greyloon
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by greyloon »

As Hookem says, OK no longer builds the scupperpro, so it will have to be a used one if you can find it. PM Nightwing, he has, or had a scupperpro.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

They are great kayaks if you

Post by JimD »

They are great kayaks if you can get your butt in the seat.
People used to say you needed to be under 6ft and 200 pounds to fit.

The seat is quite deep.

Great kayak. Even better if it has a rudder.
Last edited by JimD on Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
fowlwaters

Post by fowlwaters »

Look at the new Ride for the flats and with the changes made it paddles like a Tarpon. Check with five-0 he has had a few Scupprers and is demoing the new Ride this weekend and makes long paddles some times 3 miles or more to get to the fish.
greyloon
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by greyloon »

3 miles isn't a long paddle to the fishing grounds for some of us.
ash78626

SPTW

Post by ash78626 »

I tip the scales at 165, clothed and shod, and stand 5' 7", and my lack of a but is the joke of our family. I'm really attracted to the 26" width of the SPTW and reports of stability in combination with the narrow width.

I am under the impression that given a particular width of a kayak, the more narrow the better (within limits). Please let me know if there this is really not the case.

Along with paddling and testing the stability in whatever rough water I can find, I'm concerned that I can reenter the boat in deep water.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Ash

Post by JimD »

Put a private post to Nightwind on Saltwater board. You and Joe are about the same size.

He owned about 4 kayaks before finding a scupper pro tw and he loves his.
Backwater Drifter
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Backwater Drifter »

If you are ever in Corpus Christi I belive Wind & Wave has a new scupperpro that has not sold. Atleast they did two weeks ago. They said they have had it for a while and OK no longer make them. Still brand new.
redloon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by redloon »

I bought two SPTWs about a year ago. I sold one and kept the other effectively getting all of my money back and getting a free SPTW in the act. It has become my go-to yak over my Loon and even though I will always keep my Loon around for occasional use, the SPTW is head and shoulders above it as a fishing platform. Plug the scupper holes and it is a dry ride. You can fill the hold with gear and it stays dry in rough water. It is extremely stable. I crawl all over mine while on the water, opening the hatch for food and equipment, and sit side-saddle on it from both sides to fish. It is one of the fastest yaks I have paddled, since it is fairly long(14'9" if memory serves me), light, and narrow. Being narrow does make it better suited for people of my stature(5'7", 165lbs). If you aren't an overly large person. and the price is right, I would buy it. Redloon.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

For a small framed person in weight, male or female, it's the best all around yak, in my opinion, that's ever been built. At it's 14' 9" length and it's 26" width, it's fast. It rides over waves and doesn't plow through them. The deep seating depth of 7.25" gives you stability since your center of gravity is lower than on any other kayak in the SOT class from any manufacturer. You can sit side saddle comfortably if you move your butt up to the flat spot in front of the deep seat. It has a rudder option. Bone dry inside the hull. Lightweight at 55 pounds so it's easy to move about on dry land. I'm 5' 9" and 142 pounds (now) and I use a low angle style of paddling and I've found (for me), a 220 paddle length, with touring blades, is perfect for paddling the SPTW. Learn how to use your paddle and you'll find the yak is very nimble to turn even in tight places. I plug the scupper holes, when paddling the bays, in the seat and use OK's rubber Comfort Pro Backrest/Seat combo and this keeps my butt dry because rubber doesn't absorb water. I do unplug the scupper holes in the seat when I'm paddling out in the Gulf. Just demo one and I hope you demo it with both a 220 and a 230 length paddle. I demoed mine in terrible wind and water conditions comparing it to my now sold WS Tarpon 140 which I did sell to a former TKF'er to make room in my gargage for my SPTW.
five-O
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by five-O »

The SPTW is a great kayak. Its fast and nimble. I paddle long distances, longest in one day was over 15 miles total. It is great for long distances. As Fowlwaters mentioned, I was fortunate enoughto demo the new Ride135 this past weekend. I sold my SPTW to make room for the new Ride. The new Ride will easily handle long distance paddles and is cavernous in the storage,tankwell, and cockpit department. The SPTW is very narrow so if you are big in stature you may not fit. I am not small but do have a small rump so I was able to fit in the SPTW. I say try both of them and make your decision from there. You cant go wrong with either kayaks. If you ever think you will want to stand up in the kayak, dont try it in the SPTW, my wife is the only person I have seen accomlish this feat but she is very small and nimble as a cat. Christopher Reeves could stand in the Ride 135 though :P
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

John at Coastal paddlers in Beaumont has a NEW SPTW at his shop
Aggie92

Post by Aggie92 »

I have a SPTW and an old RIDE. I find myself using the SPTW anytime I have a distance to paddle because it is much faster and much easier on the arms to paddle than the ride. The above deck storage is also better than that of the old RIDE. The RIDE does feel much more stable to me so when I want to stand or will be getting in and out to wade alot the RIDE would be the choice. Especially if the paddle was not as long distance.

I am 5' 6, 150 lbs. The SPTW is a great yak for a skinny or small person, as Nighthawk said the 220 paddle is also best suited, but that is what has always felt best with my short arms.
ash78626

Post by ash78626 »

I would like to thank everyone who answered my questions re the SPTW. It seems like the ideal kayak for me. I made an offer on a used one and though it was rejected I will wait a while to see if the seller will change his mind.

I'm sure I will have one by the end of winter.

Thanks again,
oldsalt

Post by oldsalt »

I luv my SPTW. I'm over 180 36' hips. It came with a 240 paddle which is nice on long runs. A 220 would be good to have for power in wind and waves. While a rudder would be nice, I get along just fine without it.
REDline
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by REDline »

man, sounds like that would fit me pretty good! 6', 160 lbs...
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

cam_blade,

Looking at the picture that you resized and cropped to make your avatar, it looks to me like you were paddling and fishing in an OK yak. If it is an OK yak, which model? You're body frame is built for an SPTW. The only drawback I've ever found (for me) is there is no water channel that connects to each molded in footwell like on the Prowler 13. This is a minor drawback for me though.
TroutScout

Post by TroutScout »

I used to have one and sold it to someone on the board. I loved it and as far I as I know, the individual is having a ball in it. Im 246 and 6'4" and didnt have any issues in mine.

Scout

If you can find one, get it!