Try before you buy

Priority Four
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Try before you buy

Post by Priority Four »

I was thinking back to the first time I visited this website, and all the questions I had. This is probably the most valuable thing I learned early on. There is no fit all yak. What I like best may be the most uncomfortable thing for you. Good yak dealers will let you test drive a boat. Demo days and Expos are a great venues for trying lots of boats.

The same goes for outfitting. Once your in a boat, take it out a few times and get a feel for how you will use it and where you would like to place accessories if you even want them.

Welcome to the plastic navy!
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Hey, I like that........"Plastic Navy"
Mrs.Five-0

Post by Mrs.Five-0 »

Ditto on that!

I can now welcome others by "Welcome to the plastic Navy"

that's a good one :lol:
WATER HOG
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by WATER HOG »

I wish this would have been here when I began . heck I can't even remember how I found TKF . :shock: :D
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

This would even be a great place to ask around if someone has a yak you want, so you can try it out in "real" water.
migser31

Post by migser31 »

As a "Noob", there are so many kayaks out there and no one dealer has them all. I've read a lot about what to look for and KFS has a good comparision page, but I know nothing. I've been to the local sporting and outdoors stores but who's going to let you throw a new kayak down on the ground so you can sit in it to see how it feels? I'm just not sure about dropping $1000 on a kayak and end up hating it.

Confused :?
Matt2
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Matt2 »

migser31 wrote:As a "Noob", there are so many kayaks out there and no one dealer has them all. I've read a lot about what to look for and KFS has a good comparision page, but I know nothing. I've been to the local sporting and outdoors stores but who's going to let you throw a new kayak down on the ground so you can sit in it to see how it feels? I'm just not sure about dropping $1000 on a kayak and end up hating it.

Confused :?

Your in luck. This site has enough good people who are more than happy to let you test paddle probably just about every type of kayak on the market today. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!! We are everywhere in TX, so just post up on what your interested in, and I'm sure you will get many responses.

Welcome to the addiction. :twisted:
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

migser31,
You are in Schertz, bet you been to Academy, and YES you should ATLEST set it on the floor to see how it feels. But real world trying is best. What type of yak are you looking for, SINK or SOT? What type of use? And (don't think I am hitting on you :wink: ) What do you look like(hight and weight)? :lol: :lol: :lol:
migser31

Post by migser31 »

Yes, been to Academy but wasn't impressed. The best deal I've seen was a OK Prowler Big Game at Sportsmans Warehouse on 1604 by Gold Canyon. They had it there for $899 which I thought was a good deal. I'm just not sure about the speed/stability trade-offs. This would be used in the Port A, Aransas Pass area for fishing, so whatever works best in that area.

BTW I'm 5'11'' 220, as impressive a beer lifting physique as you can get!!!
:lol: :lol: :wink:
Priority Four
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Priority Four »

31, Austin Canoe and Kayak has a location opposite the outlet malls in San Marcos right up the road. They can help you.

I can not take credit for the "plastic navy". That was coined by M-D I think who used to also issue rank as I recall. Good times

Post by Guest »

For great customer service, someone who knows what they are talking about and availibity to demo the kayaks, try Texas Kayaks in Boerne. Richard is the owner's name.

-joe
altonr77

Post by altonr77 »

paddling.net also has a reveiw section that is helpful
I bought four boats without paddling first. two of them over the net and never sat in them. though Im not as picky as some and did lots of reserch asked may questions looked at length width and shapes of different boats.there r many sites that helped me choose. but It is defenately best to try before u buy if u have the chance.
if uve made it this far u r on the right track :wink:
by the way if they will not take the boat down and let u sit in it a get a good feel for it THEY DO NOT WANT URE BUSINESS
FOUL HOOKED
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by FOUL HOOKED »

Priority4 is so right. I have had a WS Ride loved it but a little slow and not the storage ideas I wanted, then a Malibu X-Factor sweet boat lots of storage, super stable as a 80' barge going down the ICW but as slow as a barge too, then a P-15. Best boat at the time. Real nice, not what I wanted though, now my favorite boat yet WS T160i. Man cant say enough abouth this boat. My wife has hated this hobby. 4 yaks in somewhere around 4 years! :lol: Try before you buy, but there WILL always be a better one out there youll want!
cohiba73

Post by cohiba73 »

migser, look in the classifieds also. You don't have to spend $1000 for a new kayak. There is a Ocean Kayak Srambler in the classifieds right now for $300. I have a OK Speck (only sold at Academy, similar to the Scrambler) that I bought in the classifieds for $450, came with everything I needed to get started, all I needed was my tackle box and poles and I was ready to go fishing. I am 5'10" 195 and my but stays wet in it, so you will probably have the same problem if you go with something similar. If you have a little more cash then go with something drier. Either way, there is tons of info on this site. Good luck, send me a PM if you have any questions.
jgsatx

Post by jgsatx »

Migser,

I checked out the Big Game at Sportman's Warehouse also. It looks pretty sweet with plenty of room. I load my yak on top of my pickup for transport. I think that badboy is about 65 pounds. Just one more thing to consider when purchasing a kayak. How you will transport and if you will have help to load it. Good luck with your decision.

Justin
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

FOUL HOOKED did you work a trade the P-15 for the T-160i ??

4 yaks in somewhere around 4 years! Try before you buy, but there WILL always be a better one out there youll want!

Got you beat 7 yaks in a year and a half.
Still own 2 a Cobra FnD and a SINK Loon 138.
Guess I need to buy another. Looking at a used Extreme. :roll: :shock: :roll:
FOUL HOOKED
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by FOUL HOOKED »

Flafish, I did trade my P15 for the T160i....Love it
greyloon
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by greyloon »

The original Plastic Navy, its a fishing forum in San Diego:

http://www.plasticnavy.com/
SaltDog03

If you live in Schertz!

Post by SaltDog03 »

Hey check out the new Bass Pro Shop opening up on I-10 and loop 1604. The grand opening today OCT 18-22. I am pretty sure they are going to have some great deals going on. I have marriage prep classes this weekend in San Antonio. You bet I am going to took a look. If you dont get a chance to go I will keep you in mind and let you know if I see anything.
SaltDog03