Nucanoe Pursuit

Fisher1979

Nucanoe Pursuit

Post by Fisher1979 »

Hey guys,

I think I am going to buy a kayak in next month...My question is : Can I SAFELY car top a Nucanoe Pursuit on a Honda civic? I understand it is not the easiest since it is heavy but is it really safe?! I saw one at austin kayak and it was huge.

Thank you
SWFinatic

Re: Nucanoe Pursuit

Post by SWFinatic »

I don't have any cartopping experience so I'll defer to others that do. That said I have seen a Pro Angler 14 on top of a pickup truck rack. If there's will there's usually a way. Welcome to the forum!
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

The question isn' t " CAN" you do it safely? The question is how long will you do that until you buy a trailer, a bigger vehicle, or a smaller, lighter kayak? The hardest part of car-topping a kayak is putting it on the vehicle AFTER you've paddled for miles. Lots of us here started out doing that and then changing to a different combination. Maybe you're big, young and strong, and can make it work. I'm none of those. Good luck! TexasJim
Fisher1979

Post by Fisher1979 »

SWFinatic wrote:I don't have any cartopping experience so I'll defer to others that do. That said I have seen a Pro Angler 14 on top of a pickup truck rack. If there's will there's usually a way. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you SWFinatic,
I have been waiting for a long time to be be approved :D
Fisher1979

Post by Fisher1979 »

TexasJim wrote:The question isn' t " CAN" you do it safely? The question is how long will you do that until you buy a trailer, a bigger vehicle, or a smaller, lighter kayak? The hardest part of car-topping a kayak is putting it on the vehicle AFTER you've paddled for miles. Lots of us here started out doing that and then changing to a different combination. Maybe you're big, young and strong, and can make it work. I'm none of those. Good luck! TexasJim
So you think once it is on the rack, the size and weight of the pursuit is not a problem for a small car?
I definitely am not big, nor strong lol
Do you think it will be as hard with one of these transport carts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms_76_wL2RM

Thanks for the information
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Yes, you can transport the kayak on the Honda Civic safely.
Look at the Old Videos of Key West Kayak fishing channel. He even transported the Hobie Adventure Island.
If you already have the crossbars then add two sets of Yakima Mako and some straps. That is all you need. Remember to tie down the both ends of Kayak too.
Ciguatera

Post by Ciguatera »

Absolutely.

I've topped all sorts of things on my Ford focus and driven 1000's of miles at highway speeds over the last few years. I've had up to a 16 ft canoe and have even squeezed 2 kayaks up there at once. I don't use any pads, but carry the boats upside down and lash securely to a cheap SportRack brand on the roof, and I have a support that fits to the receiver hitch in the rear that is homeade, but similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-7 ... B0024FOTOW. The trick to loading is to lift the back half of the boat on the rear support first before doing the front.

I have a lightweight trailer that I'll pull if I need to carry a lot of junk, but I find that topping the boats makes things much simpler.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Fisher1979 wrote:
TexasJim wrote:The question isn' t " CAN" you do it safely? The question is how long will you do that until you buy a trailer, a bigger vehicle, or a smaller, lighter kayak? The hardest part of car-topping a kayak is putting it on the vehicle AFTER you've paddled for miles. Lots of us here started out doing that and then changing to a different combination. Maybe you're big, young and strong, and can make it work. I'm none of those. Good luck! TexasJim
So you think once it is on the rack, the size and weight of the pursuit is not a problem for a small car?

Honestly that loading system in that video looks like a sh*& show. I understand your Civic is not as high profile as that SUV. Again you can make it work but I can see that method of transporting a kayak getting old fast. If you already have the crossbars on your car than you're half way there. If not consider buying a hitch for your car and getting a Harbor Freight trailer. You'd be looking at $600 ballpark. The ease of being able to pull your kayak right on a trailer is nice. You could also add a storage bin to the trailer to help store your stuff. Either way you will still need the leg/wheel transport cart on the back of the kayak. That will be handy to have.

Food for thought.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

I have in my past put 8 slalom kayaks on an old Subaru and like someone just posted, tie it down bow and stern and securely and you will be fine.
I also have been looking at the NuCanoe but the Frontier 12. And I don’t think their cart looks like a “Sh..t Show” I have loaded my Tarpon 120 on my Tundra that way using a regular cart under the stern and that looks even better and easier. The pain with turning over like he did is any rod holders etc. would have to be removed, but I’m sure you could do it up right just as well.

What I would do is go to ACK and see if you can use one of their Demo’s to load on your car and see how it is. And do about 50 push ups first to assimilate coming back from paddling into a headwind all the way back (isn’t that how it always works?)
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

JW FunGuy wrote:I have in my past put 8 slalom kayaks on an old Subaru and like someone just posted, tie it down bow and stern and securely and you will be fine.
I also have been looking at the NuCanoe but the Frontier 12. And I don’t think their cart looks like a “Sh..t Show” I have loaded my Tarpon 120 on my Tundra that way using a regular cart under the stern and that looks even better and easier. The pain with turning over like he did is any rod holders etc. would have to be removed, but I’m sure you could do it up right just as well.

What I would do is go to ACK and see if you can use one of their Demo’s to load on your car and see how it is. And do about 50 push ups first to assimilate coming back from paddling into a headwind all the way back (isn’t that how it always works?)
JW I was referring to the process the guy in the video demonstrated of loading that NuCanoe on his SUV as being a sh*^ show not the cart. I like the cart NuCanoe has. In fact I stated he needed the cart in my comments.
Fisher1979

Post by Fisher1979 »

Fishtolive wrote:Yes, you can transport the kayak on the Honda Civic safely.
Look at the Old Videos of Key West Kayak fishing channel. He even transported the Hobie Adventure Island.
If you already have the crossbars then add two sets of Yakima Mako and some straps. That is all you need. Remember to tie down the both ends of Kayak too.
Thank you Fishtolive.
Fisher1979

Post by Fisher1979 »

Ciguatera wrote:Absolutely.

I've topped all sorts of things on my Ford focus and driven 1000's of miles at highway speeds over the last few years. I've had up to a 16 ft canoe and have even squeezed 2 kayaks up there at once. I don't use any pads, but carry the boats upside down and lash securely to a cheap SportRack brand on the roof, and I have a support that fits to the receiver hitch in the rear that is homeade, but similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-7 ... B0024FOTOW. The trick to loading is to lift the back half of the boat on the rear support first before doing the front.

I have a lightweight trailer that I'll pull if I need to carry a lot of junk, but I find that topping the boats makes things much simpler.
Great product! I definitely will buy it.
Thank you for the information.
Fisher1979

Post by Fisher1979 »

SWFinatic wrote:
Fisher1979 wrote:

Honestly that loading system in that video looks like a sh*& show. I understand your Civic is not as high profile as that SUV. Again you can make it work but I can see that method of transporting a kayak getting old fast. If you already have the crossbars on your car than you're half way there. If not consider buying a hitch for your car and getting a Harbor Freight trailer. You'd be looking at $600 ballpark. The ease of being able to pull your kayak right on a trailer is nice. You could also add a storage bin to the trailer to help store your stuff. Either way you will still need the leg/wheel transport cart on the back of the kayak. That will be handy to have.

Food for thought.
Will get the cart for sure.
Thank you for the time and information
Fisher1979

Post by Fisher1979 »

JW FunGuy wrote:I have in my past put 8 slalom kayaks on an old Subaru and like someone just posted, tie it down bow and stern and securely and you will be fine.

Perfect! I am only 15-20 minutes away from chocolate bayou boat ramp, so now I know it is possible to do it safely!
I am happy as I got the answer I loved to hear :D I
Thank you JW FunGuy,
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Fisher1979 wrote:
SWFinatic wrote:
Fisher1979 wrote:

Food for thought.
Will get the cart for sure.
Thank you for the time and information
Yes sir you're welcome congrats on getting you a NuCanoe.