Kayak registering (possible problem)

Mbarton2010

Kayak registering (possible problem)

Post by Mbarton2010 »

Hello all,
I recently purchased a used Ascend FS128T kayak. I am planning on putting a trolling motor on it. I realized it already have TX numbers on it from 2018. I messaged The guy I bought it from And he never had a title or anything for it. I did an ownership query on TPWD and it shows the original owner titled it. What will I need to do to get around this. I didn’t get a bill of sale but I’m sure I could get the guy I bought it from to sign one. I didn’t think I needed one but now I realize I may
Mbarton2010

Re: Kayak registering (possible problem)

Post by Mbarton2010 »

well i found the original owner and he is going to caLL me tomorrow. Wish me luck
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

You are going the best route. Once you get the bill of sale make sure to get the serial number off the kayak. It is on there in raised plastic or cut into the plastic near rear or hatch areas. Check the Ascend website or google for location to find it. If you have the serial number that will help them find it and get your bill of sale faster.I did the same for my old Ascend. Good luck.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

If that doesn't work reach out to the manufacture and ask them for a MSO (manufacture state of origin) which is what a title for a kayak is called. You'll need that and a bill of sale to get the kayak registered with TPWD. Of course you'll need applicable lights on the kayak also. There's lots of info on here on both registering and lighting requirements. Check the search option.
impulse

Post by impulse »

SWFinatic wrote:If that doesn't work reach out to the manufacture and ask them for a MSO (manufacture state of origin) which is what a title for a kayak is called. You'll need that and a bill of sale to get the kayak registered with TPWD. Of course you'll need applicable lights on the kayak also. There's lots of info on here on both registering and lighting requirements. Check the search option.

Be careful here... I'm not sure that an MSO and bill of sale will be adequate without a copy of the title. If it's been registered before, the TPWD will have that hull ID number matched up to the previous owner. I can see where the TPWD would also ask for an endorsed copy of the title, and he may still have to get the previous owner to provide a signed title, even if that requires getting him/her to file for a replacement title. I'd suggest asking at the nearest TPWD office to guide the process. And I freely admit I've been wrong before.

If it's never been registered, an MSO is a good place to start.

The only light required on a kayak (in Texas) is a 360 degree white light, and only if you operate after dark. Texas differs with the USCG, which only requires keeping a white light "at the ready". For the USCG even a handheld flashlight is adequate. Texas requires a 360 light to be on at all time when operating in the dark.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

impulse wrote:Be careful here... I'm not sure that an MSO and bill of sale will be adequate without a copy of the title. If it's been registered before, the TPWD will have that hull ID number matched up to the previous owner. I can see where the TPWD would also ask for an endorsed copy of the title, and he may still have to get the previous owner to provide a signed title, even if that requires getting him/her to file for a replacement title. I'd suggest asking at the nearest TPWD office to guide the process. And I freely admit I've been wrong before.
I agree. OP you will need to contact who ever currently holds the title for the kayak and have them sign it over to you. Showing up to TPWD's office with a BoS and MSO will get you nowhere if the kayak has already been titled.

Good luck.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

impulse wrote:
SWFinatic wrote:If that doesn't work reach out to the manufacture and ask them for a MSO (manufacture state of origin) which is what a title for a kayak is called. You'll need that and a bill of sale to get the kayak registered with TPWD. Of course you'll need applicable lights on the kayak also. There's lots of info on here on both registering and lighting requirements. Check the search option.

Be careful here... I'm not sure that an MSO and bill of sale will be adequate without a copy of the title. If it's been registered before, the TPWD will have that hull ID number matched up to the previous owner. I can see where the TPWD would also ask for an endorsed copy of the title, and he may still have to get the previous owner to provide a signed title, even if that requires getting him/her to file for a replacement title. I'd suggest asking at the nearest TPWD office to guide the process. And I freely admit I've been wrong before.

If it's never been registered, an MSO is a good place to start.

The only light required on a kayak (in Texas) is a 360 degree white light, and only if you operate after dark. Texas differs with the USCG, which only requires keeping a white light "at the ready". For the USCG even a handheld flashlight is adequate. Texas requires a 360 light to be on at all time when operating in the dark.
Impulse you sure might be correct. I wasn't aware there is such a thing as a title for a kayak. I know when you register a kayak you get a registration cert and number but didn't know there was a title too. Also in terms of registering a vessel purchased from a previous owner (that had the vessel registered) there is a time frame in which the new owner has to register the vessel. I believe it's 20 days but not sure about that.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Guys, I went through this. As long as you get a bill of sale they have the registration in their computers and you can ask for a new title from them if needed. I did this already. Why ignore me? Weird. If someone has the same kayak with TM and did the same why not listen and learn?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

kickingback wrote:Guys, I went through this. As long as you get a bill of sale they have the registration in their computers and you can ask for a new title from them if needed. I did this already. Why ignore me? Weird. If someone has the same kayak with TM and did the same why not listen and learn?
My apologies.

They way I understood your comment was the person on the title and BoS would match so TPWD would issue you an updated title fairly straightforward. Mbarton2010 situation seems the title of the kayak is under one name (the original purchaser) and his BoS would have the name of who he purchased it from (the second owner).
impulse

Post by impulse »

kickingback wrote:Guys, I went through this. As long as you get a bill of sale they have the registration in their computers and you can ask for a new title from them if needed. I did this already. Why ignore me? Weird. If someone has the same kayak with TM and did the same why not listen and learn?
We're not ignoring you as much as wondering of all the pertinent details match up. Are you saying you had a bill of sale from one guy, and the kayak was registered (and titled) in that same name? Or like the OP, the names won't match because the 2nd guy never registered it (and never paid tax on that sale)?

Seems like TPWD has a form for that... PWD 1238, along with a warning "This form will not negate the tax liability owed by the previous, non-titled owners. Information provided will be followed up for non-payment of sales/use tax and vessel/outboard motor titling fees. Incomplete information may result in denial of the application." That sounds rather ominous. Plus, did the 1st guy file the required paperwork when he sold it? (PWD 1340) And what are the consequences if he didn't?

It may be real simple like you said. But that guy in the middle who didn't title it, register it, or pay sales taxes on it could be the wrench in the works. Maybe he's off the hook because non-powered kayaks don't have to be titled or registered.
Even if the original owner signs over the title, he's signing an affidavit that doesn't reflect the truth unless he includes the guy in the middle.

I'm interested because I'm sitting on 4 used kayaks that have never been registered, with a BofS for each of them. One day, I may want to power one or more, then I'm going to be dealing with a variation of this issue. And I'm always in the market for another- as long as it doesn't create insoluble paperwork problems.
Mbarton2010

Post by Mbarton2010 »

Hers the latest update :
I talked with the original owner(title holder) and we agreed to do lost title paperwork and pretend he sold me the kayak just to make things easier. We tried to do it online but it says his DL number doesn’t match the paperwork. Everything else matches but that. We called TPWD and they don’t know what’s going on. This is a major headache
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Mbarton2010 wrote:Hers the latest update :
I talked with the original owner(title holder) and we agreed to do lost title paperwork and pretend he sold me the kayak just to make things easier. We tried to do it online but it says his DL number doesn’t match the paperwork. Everything else matches but that. We called TPWD and they don’t know what’s going on. This is a major headache
Thanks for the update. Although it is a little inconvenient look at the positive side, the original title holder is willing to work with you to remedy the situation.