Just Getting Started

Jbuggs1992

Just Getting Started

Post by Jbuggs1992 »

Hello all! I want to get into Kayak fishing, it's a good workout and alot less maintenance than a large boat. I have young kids and I was looking for a tandem that I can also solo from time to time I have been bouncing between the Hobie 17T and Big Tuna are there any other suggestions for good tandem fishing kayaks? Thanks in advance guys!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Just Getting Started

Post by Ron Mc »

The problem with a tandem is they usually don't solo well due to windcock, unless you can move a seat to the center of the keel length. Think of your body acting as a sail to steer the boat. Farther forward is a jib, always pulling the bow downwind (steering you off course upwind). Farther back is a sloop mainsail, always luffing the bow upwind (swapping ends downwind).
Especially critical in coast wind, but even a place like Boerne City Lake gets comparable wind.
And that's something left out - where do you plan to take the boat?

I bought a T160 11 years ago, so I could set it up as a tandem with my young daughter. It worked great, because she learned to paddle without me saying a word. I picked this boat because the sternwell was long enough to set her up a cockpit - slidetrax were introduced that year and made the rigging easy.
(this was the day we christened it with Virgil's root beer)

That lasted a year, she wanted a boat of her own,
(Josh, that's Whit on B&R flat)
Image and it left me with a great boat I'm still paddling.

Some boats have movable seats on rails, making seat position adjustable for one or 2 seats - I don't know about the boats you're looking at, but KC-12 used to have seats on rails - looks like they're ramping a new business and will call it Kysek Kayaks.
But otherwise, I would consider tandem and solo kayaks to be two different boats.

ps - I looked, the Jackson has adjustable seat positions.
That said, Hobie Mirage drive is really nice, they also claim 3 different seat positions, but a 250-lb boat, you might want a trolling motor, and would definitely need a trailer.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Look at the Native Ultimate line. They have a tandem or a single that might work for you. Kids will sit in front of you and sort of inside the gunnels. Just a thought.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

If I was in the Hobie 17T market, I'd just spring for the Tandem Island and add tramp for the kids. You can walk all over it.
I sailed one at a San Marcos ACK demo, and it was really nice - with the Mirage turbo fins, it tacks like a single-hull - we had 5 people on it, counting my buddy's lean-frame daughters. Easy to sail, well-designed single cat sail, heads up far (upwind).
It would be great BTB.
You can also disassemble it into a 19' flats yak.

and fwiw, used to catch crappie all night long from a 27' sloop anchored in Lake Travis coves.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Wow! I never thought I would see a pic of your Virgin T160. No add-ons, no mods. A job well done! Glad the youngster-ette followed in your hallowed footsteps. TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

gotta start somewhere, bro :mrgreen:

and how about that dashboard bar, now in it's third application

notice in the first application, with slidetrax help, used the johnny bar feet for my daughter's foot pegs
impulse

Post by impulse »

Have you considered a canoe?

Not as zoomy as a kayak, but a lot more flexibility for seating, loading it up and heading off for a camping adventure, etc.

If you do try out a canoe, I suggest getting a long double bladed kayak paddle. I found them to be a lot handier than a single bladed canoe paddle.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Jbuggs: One of my Winter Texan neighbors has a Vibe tandem yak that has front and rear seat positions, plus a center seat spot for solo kayaking. I works great for him and his spouse, and they're not little people. I see Vibe has a 12 and 13 foot tandem. Worth a look. TexasJim
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

impulse wrote:Have you considered a canoe?

Not as zoomy as a kayak, but a lot more flexibility for seating, loading it up and heading off for a camping adventure, etc.

If you do try out a canoe, I suggest getting a long double bladed kayak paddle. I found them to be a lot handier than a single bladed canoe paddle.
That is why I suggested the Native Ultimate. It is a canoe/kayak hybrid.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Tombo wrote:
impulse wrote:...
That is why I suggested the Native Ultimate. It is a canoe/kayak hybrid.
correct, and a bit more stable and wind-slippery. Also NuCanoe
Dlgeis

Post by Dlgeis »

I would seriously consider two yaks. Kids pick up the paddling part really easily. You will be there if she needs assistance and when she can’t come along you will still have a kayak that works well solo. She can start out with a very economical yak and then upgrade if she continues to be interested. Kids like to be the captain of their own ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

The first use of a trolley on my T160 was tying off my daughter's bow line and sending it to the stern of my boat, so I could tow to steer her down a strong wind - trolley was really helpful completing the task in deep water.
Didn't take long to solve the wincock problem in her Redfish 10 with a skeg addition, because she hated being towed at 10-y-o.
Here, she's 18, and happen to have this photo of her gliding downwind on Boerne City Lake.
But the lightweight Redfish 10 has also proved to be a good borrow and mothership boat for (lean) grown-ups in the long run.
My buddy Lou paddled it over 10 mi this day on Arroyo Colorado and Rattlesnake Bay
impulse

Post by impulse »

Tombo wrote:That is why I suggested the Native Ultimate. It is a canoe/kayak hybrid.
Good info. Thanks for that!