Transducer set up

rlhallum

Transducer set up

Post by rlhallum »

I have two older Wilderness System Ride 135's. Years 2008 & 2009. They are in great shape and I plan to keep them. But I recently purchased a Lowrance Elite 7ti and I'm trying to figure out how to mount the transducer and what to do with all the extra transducer cable.

The transducer is a large one, approximately 8" long and about 2" wide as it has side scanning ability. Mounting this to the bottom of the yak isn't an option as could be damaged by rocks and debris in the water or when loading the yak on a roof rack. Keep in mind, the older Wilderness System Ride's did not have a recessed area on the bottom of the yak to allow for a scupper mounted transducer. Mounting to the stern isn't an option as the size of the transducer would cause it to interfere with my rudder. And if I attempted to mount the transducer inside the yak and shoot through the hull, I lose the ability to side scanning -- kind of a key feature for this fish finder.

So, as I see it, I'm left with an over the side type of mount for the transducer --- unless you have an idea I've over looked. But that is were I get into the problem of what to do with all that extra transducer cable. I really don't want that flapping around on the deck.

Any suggestions?
niswanger

Re: Transducer set up

Post by niswanger »

Sounds crazy, but you could cut and splice the cable. Splice color-to-color with solder and small regular heat shrink, then cover the whole splice with quality Ratheon or equivalent marine heat shrink.

Or just go a little more basic with a whole new setup that you can mount inside the hull.

-Roy
rlhallum

Post by rlhallum »

Will splicing the transducer cable impact the signal integrity?
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

rlhallum wrote:Will splicing the transducer cable impact the signal integrity?
I won't say one way or the other with certainty but I would think no, so long as you do a good job.

Here's a discussion: https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk ... cer-cable/

And another: https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-ele ... cable.html

These will probably pursuade you not to cut it, but read all the replies. Does your unit provide speed from the transducer (not gps speed)? This could be a Hall Effect transistor which could have a stored potential. Cutting all the wire at once could short this potential and damage that component (doubt it has one, but just asking).

-Roy