Consumer Warning - Fraudulent Kayak Websites

Neumie
Site Admin

Consumer Warning - Fraudulent Kayak Websites

Post by Neumie »

Hey guys,

I don't think anything has been posted about this on here, but if you're on Facebook I'm sure you've seen some ads pop up on the TKF Facebook group and elsewhere "selling" incredibly cheap kayaks. Almost all the ads have Old Town Kayaks, canoes, and accessories listed for $100 or less. DO NOT BUY FROM ANY OF THESE WEBSITES. You will have your banking information compromised and possibly your identity stolen.

There have been numerous website which have popped up "selling" cheap kayaks and include the following: fashionsgo.com, alongmall.com, and alreadymall.com. These are the ones I'm aware of but there have been others and even more could exist as well.

Attached below is a picture of one of the ads. This is typical for nearly every fraudulent kayak website with the "Kayak Store" logo in the upper left corner.

Other than the to-good-to-be-true price some things you should look for on the website: make sure the website is secure (to check its up by the url in your web browser); the "About Me" will be very generic reading and written in slightly broken english; and there is no physical address, email, or phone number listed (just a generic fill in the blank email submittal form).

Please be vigilante when Christmas shopping and looking for a online.

P.S. There are other fraudulent websites hawking bogus items as well. I've seen them for Raybans, Nikes (nisneakers.com), Pet Supplies (wellbigshop.com), and Power Tools (tooltrunks.com and vipabilityshop.com); to name a few.
Attachments
41964582_2397022813647526_5955417432343445504_n.jpg
41964582_2397022813647526_5955417432343445504_n.jpg (43.46 KiB) Viewed 5900 times
Cityfisher

Re: Consumer Warning - Fraudulent Kayak Websites

Post by Cityfisher »

Yep. I had my facebook account hacked about 5 months ago posting the ad for RayBans for a very cheap price. They posted the ad from me to everyone in my friends list. I saw it right away and checked my facebook settings and activity. There was someone logged onto my account from Thailand at the same time I was logged in at work. I logged them out and had to reset my password. Then posted an apology to everyone because I would never post ads on my friends facebook page. And this is the time of year the scammers come out in groves!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

they've even figured how to do this on phones - I've received marketing calls from India that appeared on my caller ID as my neighbor by name and number - and most marketing calls now show caller ID in my area code and same exchange.
I'm sure it's illegal, but nothing telephone providers can do about India.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:they've even figured how to do this on phones - I've received marketing calls from India that appeared on my caller ID as my neighbor by name and number - and most marketing calls now show caller ID in my area code and same exchange.
I'm sure it's illegal, but nothing telephone providers can do about India.
It's called spoofing. Illegal, but impossible for the phone companies to stop/fix.

I had a missed "call" from a friend who I only talk to maybe once a year, but they never called me. Turns out the spoofed number just happened to be my friends and was in my contact list.