Transporting a kayak over rocks

CLK

Transporting a kayak over rocks

Post by CLK »

First time kayaker here guys. Picking it up this weekend. I live real close to the bay and my closest and best option to reaching the water is approximately 50’ over large uneven rocks. Curious if any one has any advice or experience.
I am considering the boonedox sand landing gear???
Any suggestions appreciated.
crusher

Re: Transporting a kayak over rocks

Post by crusher »

Boonedox makes pretty solid products.
Sharp rocks, or rounded river rocks? I haven't used the tires you mention, but sand tires are somewhat soft so I wonder if they would puncture or rip with even semi sharp rock corners with the weight of a yak on them.
I have only owned cheaper kayak carriers, and the tires were awful (went flat, ripped) after just a few times on various pebbly ramps and shelly parking areas.

Carrying the yak would be best, but the kayak companies are selling bigger and heavier, not lighter and nimbler.
CLK

Post by CLK »

Thanks for the response Crusher.
These are a mixture of larger rocks. Mostly about 3’ x2 to 3” thick flat rock but like staggered on top of each other.
I just don’t want to tear up the kayak or my back. And it is the pro angler 12’. So it is one of the heavier ones.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Having a buddy help carry would be best but if you have wide enough wheels that will not wedge in the rocks you should be OK. Go slow. You can break the metal bars if it gets wedged and you pull the wrong way. Worse it could damage your scupper.
I would use a "flat top" type wheels that you strap around the kayak that way you wont worry about breakage except the wheels themselves. No worries in sand but rocks are unforgiving.
CLK

Post by CLK »

Thanks kickingback. I will look at some of those today too.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

How much of a drop in elevation is there? Coming back up hill and trying to roll 100 lbs up several staggered 3" lips doesn't sound like fun to me.
CLK

Post by CLK »

yeah, after further review I will not be taking a kayak down there fishing.
thanks.