Port Aransas

Jaycar85

Port Aransas

Post by Jaycar85 »

Not new to kayaking but new to salt water fishing. I will be down (port a)Oct 5-7 was wondering if I could tag along with some one who knows the water better than me. Was think n b&r or light house. Or if some one wants to tag along I'm cool with that 2. I know it's still a ways out but just wanted to give a heads up. Oh of course if you let me tag along I buy breakfast and drinks. Thanks in advance

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Port Aransas

Post by texnomad »

Just An Opinion
Since that is a Holiday weekend you might consider fishing Mustang Island instead of fighting the ferry traffic to/from LHL or B&R.
Jaycar85

Post by Jaycar85 »

That's kinda what I was thinking but I couldn't find to much on fishing locations. (Guess I didint look hard enough:) I was thinking Wilson cut but from what I have read it is closed now. I would like something safe cause the first and last time I went out over by the airport I almost got sucked up by a barge lol scared the crap out of me. That's y I wanted to see if some one will show me the ropes. The ocean can be a dangerous place nothing like my little rivers back home

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

have a large group (5) spending those days at Estes - we have a house at Palm Harbor, and the only plan right now is the first day fishing the cuts on Traylor Island. And of course if it's good, we'll be doing more of that the following days.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... jdG5uojp7k
Our bane will likely be power boats.

have you ever tinkered with this? - zoom and use the overlays
http://www.texmaps.com/go/texas-fishing.html

btw, if you check the tides, LHL may be fishing very well the first couple of days.
Try to be at a pass for the strong afternoon falling tide.
Jaycar85

Post by Jaycar85 »

Thanks for the map and reply.

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

If you launch from Island Mooring Marina and paddle to the flats behind the house, I've done really well there in October for redfish. Go a little farther west to East Flats and you can get into the trout. Click

Shamrock is still accessible, but you have to launch from the boat ramp or a little past it at the very end of the cut and paddle up to access the flats. Launching there is susceptible to rain, so scout beforehand if there's been rain. Shamrock is still one of my favorite places to fish, but really haven't been there in awhile due to its popularity. Since the easy launch has been closed off I may give it more attention because most kayakers don't won't to put in the extra effort and make the longer paddle. Click

Also, I've been reading good reports from Packery Channel/Jetties, so the adjoining flats (Packery Plats, eadman's Hole, Kate's Hole) down towards Corpus would be a solid option. Click
Jaycar85

Post by Jaycar85 »

Neumie thank you so much that is all very solid info that will be used. So if I wanted to try in get to Wilson cut what would be the closest launch? Google map is hard to see what is a road and what is not.

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Jaycar85 wrote:Neumie thank you so much that is all very solid info that will be used. So if I wanted to try in get to Wilson cut what would be the closest launch? Google map is hard to see what is a road and what is not.
The closest launch is the boat ramp on Wilson's Cut, but there are two other options as well that you can see if you click on this link: CLICK. There's a sand road which leads back to Wilson's Cut from 361 directly across from the entrance to the Sea Gull Condominiums. Of the three the farthest north called "Sting Ray Cove" is most susceptible to flooding and would more than likely not be an option in October due to higher tides that time of the year.
Jaycar85

Post by Jaycar85 »

First of all thank you for being so patient with me:) now let me see if I have this straight, when I click on the map it just gives a lot of markers nothing specific. Is this the entrance to the boat ramp at the end of Wilson cut? The one with power station to the left of the entrance. And 2nd is this pic the entrance across from the condo's? The one that says big star entertainment?

I thought that was the "easy access" one that closed. ImageImage

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

The first pic with the entrance next to the power substation is no longer open for the public. That was a nice caliche road which led most of the way down Wilson's Cut to a launch site directly across from the access to the flats.

The second pic is the correct and only way to access Wilson's Cut. And I have no clue as to what Big Star entertainment is.
JMS

Post by JMS »

You might have luck at Church’s hole I admit never fished in October but decent launch and always seem to catch Trout. Head from Port A toward CC & you’ll see Methodist church on your right, turn off is just past that. I’ve also waded their with success. You can also launch by Red Dot Pier, while I’ve caught fish There seems to always be alot of traffic to contend with and the crisscrossed channel makes it little difficult to decide where to fish. Good luck and post up and let us know how you do. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk