Do I need a bed extender?

rippyro

Do I need a bed extender?

Post by rippyro »

I just bought a 13' kayak recently and have taken it out twice already for some fishing. I have been going back and forth on getting a bed extender but I'm not going to spend the money if it's not necessary. I've been loading it straight in my truck bed with the tailgate down (5.8' bed) and strapping it through the front handle and through the side handles. It's very solid once secured and it's in past the balance point (barely) so it doesn't want to fall out when not strapped down. If that makes any sense. I have drove it to and from the lake (30 min drive) without any issues but would hate to do damage in the long run because it doesn't have more support. Looking for some experience based advice for a complete newbie.
Thanks in advance. ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
rippyro

Re: Do I need a bed extender?

Post by rippyro »

The handles are pretty well centered on the balance point, so if you can tell from the pictures it's about a foot inside the end of the tailgate.

JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

If it were me, and since you can get one for about $65-70 at Harbor Freight last I looked, a bed extender would be cheap insurance. Plus it might make loading and unloading easier.
And if you don’t you will need a flag. :D
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

yes, if you're more than 4' behind the tail-lights, you need a bed extender just so you can put lights on it.

rippyro

Post by rippyro »

I kinda had a feeling about that. My wife is loving all of the "extra stuff" to buy after getting the kayak. Haha

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I would get the bed extender because they are inexpensive and will help support the weight.

According to the transportation code if you're kayak is projecting 4 feet are further from the body (not including the tailgate in the down position, measuring from the vehicles tail lights) you must have a red flag at least 144 sq in affixed to the load during day light hours (sunrise to sunset). During night (sunset to sunrise) you must mark the load with two red lights facing the rear showing the width of the load, two red lights (one either side) showing the length of the load, and red reflectors.
Sec. 547.382. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT ON PROJECTING LOADS. (a) A vehicle transporting a load that extends to the rear at least four feet beyond the bed or body of the vehicle shall display on the extreme end of the load at the times specified in Section 547.302(a):
(1) two red lamps visible at a distance of at least 500 feet from the rear;
(2) two red reflectors that indicate the maximum width and are visible at nighttime at all distances from 100 to 600 feet from the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps; and
(3) two red lamps, one on each side, that indicate the maximum overhang and are visible at a distance of at least 500 feet from the side.
(b) At all other times, a vehicle transporting a load that extends beyond the vehicle's sides or more than four feet beyond the vehicle's rear shall display red flags that:
(1) are at least 12 inches square;
(2) mark the extremities of the load; and
(3) are placed where a lamp is required by this section.
So, RonMc's example isn't technically legal, although adding lights to the bed extender is a good idea and is what I do. I've only seen one kayak properly lit at night according to the Code in my 15 years of kayaking. I'll add a flashing red LED designed for bicycles to my kayak occasionally.
rippyro

Re: RE: Re: Do I need a bed extender?

Post by rippyro »

Neumie wrote:I would get the bed extender because they are inexpensive and will help support the weight.

According to the transportation code if you're kayak is projecting 4 feet are further from the body (not including the tailgate in the down position, measuring from the vehicles tail lights) you must have a red flag at least 144 sq in affixed to the load during day light hours (sunrise to sunset). During night (sunset to sunrise) you must mark the load with two red lights facing the rear showing the width of the load, two red lights (one either side) showing the length of the load, and red reflectors.
Sec. 547.382. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT ON PROJECTING LOADS. (a) A vehicle transporting a load that extends to the rear at least four feet beyond the bed or body of the vehicle shall display on the extreme end of the load at the times specified in Section 547.302(a):
(1) two red lamps visible at a distance of at least 500 feet from the rear;
(2) two red reflectors that indicate the maximum width and are visible at nighttime at all distances from 100 to 600 feet from the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps; and
(3) two red lamps, one on each side, that indicate the maximum overhang and are visible at a distance of at least 500 feet from the side.
(b) At all other times, a vehicle transporting a load that extends beyond the vehicle's sides or more than four feet beyond the vehicle's rear shall display red flags that:
(1) are at least 12 inches square;
(2) mark the extremities of the load; and
(3) are placed where a lamp is required by this section.
So, RonMc's example isn't technically legal, although adding lights to the bed extender is a good idea and is what I do. I've only seen one kayak properly lit at night according to the Code in my 15 years of kayaking. I'll add a flashing red LED designed for bicycles to my kayak occasionally.
Looks like a harbor freight trip is in my near future. Thanks everyone.

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Here's the kayak I was referring to in my post as one which follows the law for a properly lit projecting kayak.

Pictures & kayak credit to Tallgrass05
rippyro

Post by rippyro »

Neumie wrote:Here's the kayak I was referring to in my post as one which follows the law for a properly lit projecting kayak.

Pictures & kayak credit to Tallgrass05
Dang that looks pretty legit. I was thinking about just getting a bed extender and bolting some trailer lights on it. I've driven up 75 twice to texoma with no issues having just a red flag on the kayak itself but I'd rather not risk it.

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

rippyro wrote:Dang that looks pretty legit. I was thinking about just getting a bed extender and bolting some trailer lights on it. I've driven up 75 twice to texoma with no issues having just a red flag on the kayak itself but I'd rather not risk it.

I just have lights on my bed extender and occasionally add a flashing red light to the end of my kayak; never been pulled over in 15 years. IMO, as long as you're attempting to mark the extra length of the kayak with flagging and lights on the bed extender you'll be fine.

One thing I do while driving with my kayak in the bed of my truck is as I approach a red light/stop sign/slowing traffic I give the car in front of me more than generous space and start looking in my rear view mirror at the car behind me to make sure they are stopping adequately. If not I've given myself a several car lengths cushion to pull forward to allow more stopping distance. I've doing that so long now that it's subconscious.
rippyro

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Do I need a bed extender?

Post by rippyro »

Neumie wrote:
rippyro wrote:Dang that looks pretty legit. I was thinking about just getting a bed extender and bolting some trailer lights on it. I've driven up 75 twice to texoma with no issues having just a red flag on the kayak itself but I'd rather not risk it.

I just have lights on my bed extender and occasionally add a flashing red light to the end of my kayak; never been pulled over in 15 years. IMO, as long as you're attempting to mark the extra length of the kayak with flagging and lights on the bed extender you'll be fine.

One thing I do while driving with my kayak in the bed of my truck is as I approach a red light/stop sign/slowing traffic I give the car in front of me more than generous space and start looking in my rear view mirror at the car behind me to make sure they are stopping adequately. If not I've given myself a several car lengths cushion to pull forward to allow more stopping distance. I've doing that so long now that it's subconscious.
Sounds good. I have been pretty nervous with the people in so much of a hurry that they have to be 5 feet behind me going 75 on the highway. Learning a ton from browsing this forum about things to do and not to do haha