Perception Pescador 12.0 still recommended?

yippee

Perception Pescador 12.0 still recommended?

Post by yippee »

Hello all, I've been wanting to get a kayak for a while, but it seems like something always gets in the way and prevents me from buying one before I pull the trigger. I know a lot of people used to recommend the Pescador 12.0 as a good budget minded starter kayak. I'm talking about the original Pescador, the recycled Tarpon 120 design. I've found a few of them locally for sale at about the 399.99 mark, and am trying to decide if I should go ahead and pull the trigger or keep waiting and get something else.

I know they used to come highly recommended for a beginner kayak, but have they been bumped from their spot with all the new stuff on the market? I'd love to get a Wilderness Radar 115 or something similar, but right now that's just not in the cards. I'm trying to decide on whether to buy a Pescador now or keep dreaming and saving for something like a Tarpon or Radar.

Let me know what you think on the matter, I'd love to hear some good opinions.
JW FunGuy

Re: Perception Pescador 12.0 still recommended?

Post by JW FunGuy »

I just went through this myself about two months ago. I was trying to decide between the Pescador, Pescador Pro and the Wilderness Tarpon 120. I ruled out the older Pescador as I do not like the old gasket style dry storage lid. Plus used ones where not all that much less than a new one. I really liked the storage layout on the WS and the seat adjustments so I settled on it. I got it at the Memorial Day sale at ACK at a pretty good price. I’ve used it almost every week since then and I couldn’t be happier.
But as most will say, it is an individual thing, go and demo the boats if you can and see which one talks to you. :D
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

The Pescador 12 is the champion Bang-For-The-Buck kayak. Not perfect, of course, but a well designed and built kayak that is fast, light, easily driven(paddled), and can easily keep up with the pack. Light enough to car-top or slide in the bed of a small truck. Tracks well without a rudder.
The NEGATIVES: The seat sucks. The seat pan depression is lower than the seat scuppers, so, if you ship water(you probably will), some will always stay under your butt. You can put a 1-1/2" closed cell foam pad under your butt and it will keep you above the water. An aftermarket seat is highly recommended. The Tarpon 120 has a better seat set-up.
The front hatch cover fits tight and doesn't leak, but is hard to get into while afloat. The Wilderness Tarpon 120 was like that thru 2008. The 2009 re-design added a hinged front hatch. In six years, I've only had to access the front hatch three times to get my foul weather jacket.
The kayak is narrow, tippy(that's what makes it fast and nimble), and easy to fall out of or turtle. In six years, I have never done either. If you learn to successfully paddle and fish a Pescador, you won't have any trouble in any other kayak.
If you're big, like 6 feet and hefty, it's probably not for you. Big, heavy guys need a bigger kayak.
The POSITIVES: Cheap enough to use as a starter kayak and if you upgrade, keep it for a friend/loaner kayak.
Built tough enough to tackle small rapids and beaver dams(I've done that).
Resale is good, as many people want something cheap to start on.

I added a Gone Fishin' seat, with a pad underneath, two flush rod holders forward ( about where my feet are), a quality, light paddle, made some one-way valve scupper plugs to let water out, but not in, added a paddle stow clip abeam.

Since I haven't gained weight(in fact I lost 15 pounds and am 73), I don't need a bigger kayak. If I were to buy another kayak, I would be looking at a Viking Profish 400, basically a slightly bigger version of what my Pescador has become.

My (biased) observations and opinions. No charge, and you get what you paid for. Have fun! TexasJim
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

TexasJim is right on the money -- old pescador 12 is an undisputed champion in bang-for-the-buck category.

I wouldn't classify it as beginners only kayak -- it is appealing to anyone who tends to minimalism. I am quite seasoned and started with a kayak that was 3 times more expensive -- ended up using pescador at the end. Minimum number of things to keep in mind when packing, takes 5 mins to get on/off water. Just enough space to keep bare minimum (lure bag, cooler, two rods). Basically, very good tool for someone who knows exactly what he is doing. Those hatch covers -- I don't think I've ever opened any one of them (besides main one where I put my drybag for keys/etc, battery for fishfinder).

The only downside is next to impossible to stand and fish in it. Plus, if you're above 200lbs -- it starts getting too small. Not critical (my friend is 240 and he is using my kayak from time to time), but yeah -- you could see he is getting close to the limit.
yippee

Post by yippee »

It seems like everytime I try to talk myself into buying a Pescador, I always end up coming back around to the current tarpon 12. That's kind of the way I'm leaning now. I have a store that charges $50 per boat to demo them, then when you buy a boat they apply the demo prices to the boat. Still saving a little more money right now for the kayak, once I get closer to having the money saved up in full I'll go demo some boats.

I know the Pescadors are supposed to be about as good as it gets for the price point, but I always talk myself into wanting something a little better equipped.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Slidetrax are great for rigging.
Tarppn also comes ready-rigged for a rudder