VIBE Yellowfin 100 or seaghost 130?

rippyro

VIBE Yellowfin 100 or seaghost 130?

Post by rippyro »

I've been browsing the forum for a while and finally decided to join after my decision to actually purchase a kayak.

I am brand new to kayaking, kayak fishing, etc. I am trying to decide between these two kayaks specifically because of the price and features. My biggest dillema right now is deciding between the length.
I plan on mostly fishing lakes like lavon, texoma, and Lewisville, etc. but would probably be interested in rivers eventually. I understand length = tracking and speed with the drawback being manuverability. The 13 footer is also $200 more where im buying from. I'm going to go test them out tomorrow but it won't be on the same water that I will be fishing. Fishing will be my primary purpose. What are y'alls opinions on these boats? Pros and cons between the two?

I will be transporting it in the 5.8' bed of a half ton truck
I am 6'0" 200lbs
And I'm completely new to the sport as a whole.
I THINK I may be interested in standing sometimes.

I've done all kinds of research and all of the info has been completely overwhelming. Just looking for that last bit of guidance.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Crusader

Re: VIBE Yellowfin 100 or seaghost 130?

Post by Crusader »

take seaghost. 10' is too small for 6' 200lb.

P.S. I am 6'6" 180lb and I use pescador 12-- it feels kinda on a smaller side, but is ok. Caught ton of fish out of it and covered hundreds of miles of water over last 3 years
rippyro

Re: RE: Re: VIBE Yellowfin 100 or seaghost 130?

Post by rippyro »

Crusader wrote:take seaghost. 10' is too small for 6' 200lb.

P.S. I am 6'6" 180lb and I use pescador 12-- it feels kinda on a smaller side, but is ok. Caught ton of fish out of it and covered hundreds of miles of water over last 3 years
Thanks for the input. Small in what way exactly? Length, weight capacity, or storage? I'm trying to find something that will be easy to load/unload and transport by myself in the bed of my truck so finding the smallest boat possible that will still be enjoyable is my goal. I looked at the pescador 12 as well and was interested in that one but am leaning towards the vibe for the features. It seems more ready to fish "out of the box" so to speak.

Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Too small as in "too small". Just my feeling -- I never tried that yak, could be wrong. For example on my pescador I end up with a disbalance -- most of weight (my butt + gear) is on on side of the yak. It causes some inconvenience, especially in wind/current. I bet it will be worse in 10'er. Plus things like being able to stretch your legs.

In terms of throwing yak into the truck -- I can throw my pescador around no problems, hang it on the wall at 4' level, etc. Not sure about 13'er, but I imagine it should be doable.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Since you're going to test paddle them that's going to ultimately make your decision. IMO, get the longer of the two kayaks and use a bed extender when transporting. The primary use of the kayak is going to be on large lakes, so a better tracking kayak is to your benefit because you're going to be paddling open water. Also, the rudder on the Seaghost will make it much more maneuverable.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

10' boats have a tendency to windcock downwind, since you usually sit behind the center of rotation.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Seaghost 130 for sure with a rudder. Don't let a $200 difference affect your decision. If your a little short wait until you have enough. Trying to save $200 now and not getting what you want will cost you a lot more next year.
rippyro

Post by rippyro »

Sea ghost 130 seems to be the overall best choice. I ended up doing some searching in the meantime for used kayaks locally to find something priced well and came across a company called kayak instruction Inc. Out of Rowlette. They have their "house brand" kayaks and their 10' that they had advertised is nearly identical to the Yellowfin 100. The owner of KI inc. told me that they are made by the same source as Vibe kayaks and he has a good working relationship with the manufacturing owner. I also found out that they had a 13' model as well. It's very similar to the sea ghost 130 with minor design differences. It does however have a rudder installed and the same seat as well as the modpod in the middle. I had the opportunity to go paddle both (they're also a Jackson dealer but they are a bit out of my comfort zone price wise just starting out). Both tracked very well and felt stable in the protected cove they were in. Then I took them out in the wind and chop on Ray hubbard. What a difference the 13' made. I ended up purchasing it right there and took it out yesterday to hagerman for the first time. It was great. I'm officially hooked on kayak fishing.

Thanks everyone for your input. Looking forward to learning from all of the people on here and hope to eventually hook up with some new fishing buddies. ImageImageImageImage

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Congrats! Time to catch some fish.
rippyro

Post by rippyro »

SWFinatic wrote:Congrats! Time to catch some fish.
Thanks. I'm pretty excited. I tried fishing a bit yesterday but not a single bite. I did run into a couple of hogs, saw a ton of geese, and had quite a few gar surfacing right next to the kayak. Being outside is awesome, but something about paddling around in the kayak and the only noise being the water dripping off of the paddle and the animals going about their own business got me.

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

The kayak from Dave at KI is the same as the Riptide Waterhog. KI, Riptide, Next, Kaku, and Vibe may all come from the same manufacturer in China.

Dave's kayaks are a great bang for the buck kayak.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

That's a really nice looking kayak. Congratulations! What was the final price? My brothers looking for one for his son and might be interested.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
rippyro

Post by rippyro »

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:That's a really nice looking kayak. Congratulations! What was the final price? My brothers looking for one for his son and might be interested.

Thanks. The 10' was $350 and the 13' was $550. Excellent price for what you get in my opinion. There's no crazy colors there was green/white and blue/white (which was just fine for me but I know others like crazier stuff.) He also has life vests and paddles for sale and on the weekends you can go paddle their kayaks. He mentioned they will also do test paddling by appointment during the week.

imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: VIBE Yellowfin 100 or seaghost 130?

rippyro wrote:
imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:That's a really nice looking kayak. Congratulations! What was the final price? My brothers looking for one for his son and might be interested.

Thanks. The 10' was $350 and the 13' was $550. Excellent price for what you get in my opinion. There's no crazy colors there was green/white and blue/white (which was just fine for me but I know others like crazier stuff.) He also has life vests and paddles for sale and on the weekends you can go paddle their kayaks. He mentioned they will also do test paddling by appointment during the week.

Wow that's a really good price. I'll definitely refer my brother their way

rippyro

Post by rippyro »

Neumie wrote:The kayak from Dave at KI is the same as the Riptide Waterhog. KI, Riptide, Next, Kaku, and Vibe may all come from the same manufacturer in China.

Dave's kayaks are a great bang for the buck kayak.
Super nice guy too. Couldn't really beat the prices or service there.

rippyro

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: VIBE Yellowfin 100 or seaghost 130?

Post by rippyro »

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:
rippyro wrote:

Wow that's a really good price. I'll definitely refer my brother their way

Time will tell for durability etc. But he was straight forward and very helpful with any questions I had. And they're nearly half the price of another quality kayak

imaoldmanyoungsalt

The $550 price is fully rigged like the pics you showed, seat and all?

rippyro

Post by rippyro »

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:The $550 price is fully rigged like the pics you showed, seat and all?

Yep. Minus the actual fishing gear (poles etc.) Seat, kayak, rails, rudder, and railbaza mounts all came on it.

imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: VIBE Yellowfin 100 or seaghost 130?

rippyro wrote:
imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:The $550 price is fully rigged like the pics you showed, seat and all?

Yep. Minus the actual fishing gear (poles etc.) Seat, kayak, rails, rudder, and railbaza mounts all came on it.

That's awesome! Hope it serves you well! I'm going to look into one as well. Thanks

rippyro

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: VIBE Yellowfin 100 or seaghost 130?

Post by rippyro »

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:
rippyro wrote:

That's awesome! Hope it serves you well! I'm going to look into one as well. Thanks

Thanks! Good luck in y'alls search