Need a roof rack for new Jackson kayak

pbtracy1

Need a roof rack for new Jackson kayak

Post by pbtracy1 »

Looking for a roof rack recommendation for one the new heavier fishing kayaks. Most roof racks seem to be rated for kayaks of 75 lbs. Most of the bigger fishing kayaks are heavier than that.
Still looking for a J style rack for a Subaru Outback. Any words of wisdom / experience?
binswagger

Re: Need a roof rack for new Jackson kayak

Post by binswagger »

You mention the Outback and weight capacity so just to put this out there, on page 8-15 of the 2018 user manual the touring rails are rated with a maximum load of up to "176 lbs (80 kg)." I have a 2010 and my understanding is I can go up to a similar weight. I have a Tarpon 140 that goes around 80 pounds and I have driven thousands of miles with it on top without incident. Granted, some of the newer kayaks are a lot heavier. Also, if you want to put a tent on it, the factory racks are inadequate. That doesn't answer your question about racks so I apologize if I am way off track. You also might be better off asking this in a forum that is specifically about your vehicle. The Subaru forums discuss this topic ad nauseam because the factory racks make a lot of long time Subaru owners grumpy.