Kayak Safety

Lakejakyak

Kayak Safety

Post by Lakejakyak »

New member here. My wife and I just purchased a pair of Jackson Liskas. We will primarily be going out in calm inshore waters and occasionally beyond the surf breakers when the surf is calm. We are new to kayaking and looking for any safety lessons learned kayaking. My wife is putting up a fight on wearing the PFD while out. Any recommendations on comfortable affordable PFDs? Anything else we should be considering to stay safe? Thanks for your help!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Kayak Safety

Post by kickingback »

NRS Chinook PFD is great for me.
https://www.amazon.com/NRS-Chinook-Mesh ... ds=nrs+pfd

Horizon 300 UHF radios for communication and emergency
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Horizon ... orizon+300

Of course make sure you have a whistle or loud signalling device. An anchor in case the winds get to high to anchor out until it blows by.
Check you kayaks BEFORE you launch for any leaks or loose drain plugs.
Have a compass or other navigation device that you can use in loss of power or fog.
Do not go to an area you do not know unless doing research on it first.
Let someone know where you are going for emergency.
TG05

Post by TG05 »

Make sure her will is up to date. There are many comfortable PFDs that are designed for paddlers. Always check the weather before heading out. Carry a phone and whistle, or a radio if going further out. A spare paddle is a good thing to have.
Lakejakyak

Post by Lakejakyak »

Looks like great recommendations. That Chinook has great reviews on Amazon! Thank you.
kickingback wrote:NRS Chinook PFD is great for me.
https://www.amazon.com/NRS-Chinook-Mesh ... ds=nrs+pfd

Horizon 300 UHF radios for communication and emergency
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Horizon ... orizon+300

Of course make sure you have a whistle or loud signalling device. An anchor in case the winds get to high to anchor out until it blows by.
Check you kayaks BEFORE you launch for any leaks or loose drain plugs.
Have a compass or other navigation device that you can use in loss of power or fog.
Do not go to an area you do not know unless doing research on it first.
Let someone know where you are going for emergency.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I would spring for the women's high-back Stolquist
https://www.backcountry.com/stohlquist- ... gAQAvD_BwE

my daughter has an earlier version of this PFD, made for women and kayak seats
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Kayak Safety

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Lakejakyak wrote:New member here. My wife and I just purchased a pair of Jackson Liskas. We will primarily be going out in calm inshore waters and occasionally beyond the surf breakers when the surf is calm. We are new to kayaking and looking for any safety lessons learned kayaking. My wife is putting up a fight on wearing the PFD while out. Any recommendations on comfortable affordable PFDs? Anything else we should be considering to stay safe? Thanks for your help!
I would make not wearing a pfd a deal breaker if it were me. If my wife refused to wear it I wouldn't take her out. Too many kayakers drown. Google it and show her. Try out the auto inflate ones. They're comfortable and you really don't know you have them on. Downside is that they inflate if you turtle or forget and take a refreshing dunk while wearing it. I prefer the traditional pdf myself for that reason. I wear this one and it's pretty comfy and price is right.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/COMFORT ... ?slotId=13

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Your welcome! That radio is a boss! It has reached the Coast Guard when I was 3 miles offshore and a water spout formed less than 1/4 mile away. Many swear by them here in TKF as well.

That PFD has a high back flotation that will not interfere with your wife's sitting in the seat. She will be comfortable in it and if she does not want to zip it up in front all she needs do is buckle the strap around her waist in case she does fall out she can zip it up.

Many anglers leave it off in the marsh (shallow areas only) and wear it between trips over deeper water. Law is you have to have it. Does not mean you have to wear it but it is safer for sure.

Make sure to do a search on YouTube for "kayak safety tips" and you will be amazed at the amount of information available. Stay safe!
Lakejakyak

Re: RE: Kayak Safety

Post by Lakejakyak »

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:
Lakejakyak wrote:New member here. My wife and I just purchased a pair of Jackson Liskas. We will primarily be going out in calm inshore waters and occasionally beyond the surf breakers when the surf is calm. We are new to kayaking and looking for any safety lessons learned kayaking. My wife is putting up a fight on wearing the PFD while out. Any recommendations on comfortable affordable PFDs? Anything else we should be considering to stay safe? Thanks for your help!
I would make not wearing a pfd a deal breaker if it were me. If my wife refused to wear it I wouldn't take her out. Too many kayakers drown. Google it and show her. Try out the auto inflate ones. They're comfortable and you really don't know you have them on. Downside is that they inflate if you turtle or forget and take a refreshing dunk while wearing it. I prefer the traditional pdf myself for that reason. I wear this one and it's pretty comfy and price is right.

Sounds like good advice. The jacket will be the ticket to the ride. Man the price is right on that! $30 for the mango on sale right now. Thanks!
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: RE: Kayak Safety

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Lakejakyak wrote:
imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:

Sounds like good advice. The jacket will be the ticket to the ride. Man the price is right on that! $30 for the mango on sale right now. Thanks!
I would also recommend going somewhere and letting her try some on and find one that she likes and feels comfortable in. Otherwise, an uncomfortable fit may cause her resistance to wear it to persist. Good luck and welcome to a new passion!

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Keep in mind the self inflating PFD's do not always inflate. I've seen a couple YT videos of guys going over wearing one and it didn't inflate.
crusher

Post by crusher »

I'm with oldman above - my wife would have to wear it...especially since I do.

Reentry to the kayak in case of falling out hasn't been mentioned. If you fall out or turtle (kayak flips over), you have to be able to get back in. For some people it's easy. For others it is a huge struggle. In cold water, it could end badly if you can't get back in. Even in warm water you or the kayak could float quite some distance which might not go too well either.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Buying and using cheap PFD's is an act of cheating! Yourself! Reminds me of when motorcycle helmet laws became the law of the land. Guys were bragging about getting a $10 helmet. I asked them if they had a $10 head?
If you value your wife, buy her a comfortable PFD she will happily wear. My advice is a high-back flotation PFD designed for paddling. My quote from the 60's: "When you cheat on safety, you're only cheating yourself, not the system". Be safe. Have fun! TexasJim