Anyone know who bought ACK?

TexasJim

Anyone know who bought ACK?

Post by TexasJim »

I read in a post that some group had bought ACK. Anybody know whom and what their track record is? I hope it's not just Marketing, Marketing, Marketing, instead of Service, Products and Prices. I've not been impressed with Academy Sports, since the group that owns Toys'R'Us (bankrupt again!)bought them out. For decades, Academy was a great chain. Now their 15-page sale paper has about five things actually on sale, everything else is regular price.
Just wondering. TexasJim
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Anyone know who bought ACK?

Post by Neumie »

TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Thanks for the info, Josh. Glad to know the Messina Bros. will be hands-on in the Summit/ACK operations. Re-assuring. They've built a great company out of almost nothing. And, they're a strong supporter of this forum and its members.

TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

From the looks of the "merger" Messina bros took over the whole ball of wax.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I was in one an ACK store last week and was told they are going to start charging for installing what they sell in the near future. Right now for example if you buy a kayak and want to add a hatch you just buy the hatch and they'll install it for free. Guess this is a result of the change.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

ACK shipping has sure gone to stupid. (in addition to throwing away our TKF discount)
They've changed from Fed-Ex ground to Fed-Ex Smartpost.
I used to place an order and get it delivered the next day.
Now from Austin it goes to Pfluegerville, Cypress, Houston, San Antonio, transfers to the post office and takes 5 days for delivery.
I hope someone from ACK is reading this. I spent $90 last Sunday and won't see my parts before Saturday.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I've always had great luck with USPS. And fairly good luck with UPS. Not so much FedEx. But, now that UPS has a marriage agreement with USPS, that process takes longer. The "hand-off" from UPS to USPS seems to add several days and numerous extra "stops" at various locations, not necessarily in the same direction.
I normally use a P.O. Box, and USPS is quick. When a vendor/shipper insists on using UPS, I give them a street address here in Rockport, and my stuff comes quicker than the UPS/USPS "hand-off". The driver will drop the parcel on my steps, knock on the door and zoom back to the truck. I can live with that, since I'm not shipping "valuables". TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

this is ACK free shipping, and for 10 years has been overnight to my house
now it's just stupid - I can order from a Maryland yacht supplier and get it here sooner

ACK has lost their good graces with me