Getting Old Adaptions

texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Getting Old Adaptions

Post by texnomad »

I chose this topic since there isn't an Old to Kayaking topic and adapting to getting older is proving to be like New to Living in lots of ways.. In a couple of weeks I will hit 72 years old and am looking for changes to "style" the folks who are getting older have had to make. The shoulders don't work as well and the arthritic joints scream some days. I have been yakless for about three years and am ready to put a yak back in my life full time instead of renting one now and then wherever I happened to be at the time. I would like to hear from those who have had to make changes in order to keep on paddling. The knees screamed an absolute NO to peddling about 6 months ago so it will be paddling for me. Virtually all my kayak fishing is in marsh/shallow water. Fresh and salt water is fished. Most of the fresh water is Falcon Lake, Lake Amistad and Elephant Butte. Most of the salt water is around the Fulton to Bird Island Basin area. Thanks for any advice.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Getting Old Adaptions

Post by kickingback »

Get an motor. That is the one best addition to my kayak that I can rely on when I feel too tired to peddle. I make sure to still use my drive whenever possible but the TM makes getting to way spots easier.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

tex: I'm older than you and still kayak fishing.
1. Buy a light, easily-driven kayak. You can go further, faster in a light yak. And, when you get back to your vehicle, it's easier to load. A Tarpon 120, Pescador 12 or a smaller Viking are all great yaks. Unless you need to stand and fish, don't get a wide, slow, heavy barge. The La-Z-Boy seats look great, but I don't like sitting high up in a kayak.
2. Buy an efficient, light paddle. After 5 hours, a heavy paddle will have worn you out. I bought a 230 cm paddle for $114.00 that only weighs 29 ounces!
3.Get a quality, made-for-paddling PFD. High back flotation, ease of arm movement. Worth the bucks.
4. Don't over equip your yak. Two rod holders, tackle pack, anchor. Keep it minimal.
5. A trolling motor is an option. A 30 pound TM with a 35 amp-hour battery will push a light yak for hours.
6. Buy a yak and have fun! The Coastal Bend has many, many launches with good fishing close by.
Any questions, PM me. TexasJim
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I will be back at my usual campground in Rockport on August 8. I appreciate the help and look forward to more advise. Thank you.
Bow-Yak

Post by Bow-Yak »

I’m 63 and will be trying out my new to me, OK Predator 13 in August. I often wonder if I should have gotten a tandem and took a grandson to power it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TG05

Post by TG05 »

A lighter kayak that is thermoformed instead of roto-molded.

Add some very modern propulsion: https://bixpy.com/bixpy-kayak-jet/ There are some cool videos of this on YouTube.