How to stay straight drifting/trolling?

CAS

How to stay straight drifting/trolling?

Post by CAS »

Went deep into the marsh and tried to "troll" through and fish while I was paddling. I have a perception pescador 10' without a rudder so I was totally dependent on paddling to stay straight. Is there any certain trick to this??

The instant I would stop paddling the current would turn me around in circles and not let me fish. I had lots of trouble and basically had to paddle hard, cast once and then paddle again. Would adding a rudder help me stay straight?? Or am I just in too basic of a kayak to be able to make this any easier?

Thanks for any help!!
Mhedgar

Re: How to stay straight drifting/trolling?

Post by Mhedgar »

You can get a drift sock. That's what I use. I attach it to my anchor trolley and set it to the back of the kayak so I can drift facing forward.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Do you have a skeg as well as your rudder? The skeg should do well to hold you "straight" in relation to where the kayak is pointed with rudder in still position.
CAS

Post by CAS »

@mhedgar I will definitely try a drift sock next time... sounds like something that could help!

kickingback I do not have a rudder or a skeg... would adding one or both of these make a big difference?
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I have never in 50 years had a rudder on a yak so that is out of my experience. But I have had skegs of a couple of shapes and sizes and found them to not be any good for drift control. They helped a good bit during paddling. I however have a love affair with drift socks and anchoring weights tied short to just touch bottom. With the weight tied just touching bottom on a sizeable flat, it acts like a drift sock. I used a 5 pound dumb bell for about $3 from Walmart for about twenty years. I had it tied at the height I wanted with a slip knot with about three more feet of line. Then when I hit a spot I needed to pause at, pull the slip knot and you have an anchor that does not make a lot of disturbance doing its job. Easy down and easy up and not any splashing. Keep in mind this is shallow water of the four feet variety I am talking about. I hope some experienced rudder folks can chime in with accurate advice on them.
CAS

Post by CAS »

I mainly fish shallow areas the same way you are... Dragging a weight definitely sounds like it could help. I really appreciate the info! Looks like I will have to try a few different things and see what works best for me
marshcowboy

Post by marshcowboy »

I use a 24” drift sock (smallest and cheapest I could find at Academy) on a Pescador Pro 12, and it works okay in marsh areas. It will definitely slow you down in the current but it is not necessarily straightest of drifts. I manage to get quite a few casts off before I have to readjust.

The one “problem” is that I find I have to adjust the length of the main line when in skinny water to make it shorter, as depths fluctuate and the sock will drag through the grass if too long (I try not to disturb the grasses as much as possible). A smaller sock would probably work better than the 24” but it isn’t too much of a hassle.

Have you ever tried a stakeout pole? It isn’t going to get you the drift fishing you described but they are pretty awesome. I find that they allow me to post up in good positions and take off to follow fish quickly.

P.S.

There is a video on YouTube where a guy is talking about modifications he has made to his Pescador Pro, and he specifically mentions that the tracking of these kayaks is improved when weighing down the bow of the kayak. He puts his gear up there and I guess that is enough weight. I find that it is too much of a hassle to put my stuff up there (not the most stable of ‘yaks at times) but have started putting a small ice chest up there. It seems to help some.

Good luck!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Try "dragging" a dumbell weight. Get a flat weight about 5 or 10 lbs and tie your anchor rope to it. Since it is flat it will drag on bottom slowing you down. Works well in mud and grass.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

what happens with 10' boats is you sit behind the center of rotation (center of keel), and your torso becomes a mainsail.
In addition to turning your bow upwind when you drift, it has the same tendency to turn you upwind when you're trying to paddle down a stiff wind.
Solved on my daughter's 10' Redfish with a skeg, essentially lengthening the keel, to put her in the center of rotation.

simply dragging a bait bucket behind should also help for trolling, but if making downwind tracks, having to drag anything is not helpful
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

Some people drag a chain. I've been meaning to get one to try.
CAS

Post by CAS »

Thanks for all the suggestions definitely looks like I have a lot of things to try now!