Pedal or paddle?

s1rGr1nG0

Pedal or paddle?

Post by s1rGr1nG0 »

Howdy gang!
Well, after a number of years of not owning a kayak I finally got back in the game and traded for a used boat last week, (Ascend FS12T). Previously I've owned a Quest, Big Game, Prowler 13, and Tarpon 160i.

After much internal debate I'm also considering making a move on a new pedal drive boat like a Hobie, Perception, or Feel Free. I really like the advancements that manufacturers have made on serious fishing kayaks. Wide decks, stability, the various pedal drives, etc...
What do you guys think about it? I would mostly be fishing the marshes and flats, and possibly a few tournaments, but I would like something I could take out BTB when the conditions are right.

I've decided that at 50 years old I'm tired waiting until "next year" and want to spend more time on the water. I ain't getting any younger! :lol:
TG05

Re: Pedal or paddle?

Post by TG05 »

Pedal is great unless you're going to hit some very shallow water. Most pedal kayaks I've seen paddle like fat barges in water too shallow to use the pedal drive. If going shallow, think about the Santa Cruz Raptor G2, it's designed for both paddling and pedaling.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Most folks these days go for pedal. Just make sure your knees can handle pedaling. Mine can’t. Hazard of growing old with worn out joints. The pedals interfere with fly fishing as well.

My Commander 140 is the near perfect kayak for me. It would be a terrible choice for BTB, though. The Commander is a great marsh and secondary bay kayak. To me, there’s nothing that compares to standing up and searching the water for fish, fish sign and fish holding structure. If and when the Commander ever bites the dust, I’ll be searching for another off the used market or maybe a new Jackson Kilroy LT.

I go out fishing in boats from time to time and it’s enjoyable, but it’s hard to imagine not ever kayak fishing in the marsh. However, I have to have a stand up stable platform. Sitting the majority of the time while fishing just isn’t interesting or comfortable anymore. But I like to stand when I fish in boats, too.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

if distance is you goal, nothing beats pedaling, and you can paddle and pedal at the same time, if you really want to travel.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

The few pedal yaks I have tried were slugs under paddle power. Wide, flat-bottomed and heavy. Maybe there are some good-paddling pedal yaks. Do your home work, and demo, demo and demo, before you buy. For me, I enjoy paddling, have an easily driven, light yak. I can see where being able to move forward while casting would be advantageous. Maybe when I'm older(I'm pushing 73) I'll need a pedal yak! TexasJim
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Check out the new Hobie Compass (a blend between a PA and a Revo).

I bought a Compass back in November so I'd have the option to pedal or paddle (thinking I could workout my legs as well as my torso and shoulders). Have put it thru the paces and can say that it is a very good blend of speed and stability. It tracks and paddles well and can also handle pretty skinny water. (My bud Ken has a Viking and I have no problem keeping up with him in the marshes). One other bonus is that it only weighs 68 lbs. so it's easy to load/unload.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

beyond maybe, 16' Hobie Revo is a freaking rocketship, that can make circles around my very fast Tarpon 160

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I'm making the move to a pedal kayak and fish the bays more than freshwater. Paddling 3 to 5 miles into the wind takes the enjoyment out of it for me. Haven't found what I'm looking for yet. I'm not going to make a purchase unless I can test it out first. Here's a YouTube video that may help (or make it more confusing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DddgaPe115A

There's a link to a pretty detailed spreadsheet that has a lot of information.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Just got back Monday from a 9 day stint and had my PA14 out for the first time. Its awesome, love the Mirage drive. It really goes but the PA is a definite beast to paddle, specially in super skinny water, like less then 1' & worse fighting current & wind. I found it easier to use my dock rope and walk it to where the depth at least allowed me to get the whole paddle in the water but even then it was slow going. I dont mind getting in the water so in a really shallow area I want to fish I park it and stalk on foot. No big deal to me but some people dont like getting out of their boat.
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

There is a Hobie PA12 on here for a helluva good price. Would be a good kayak for the bays