Looking for 1st Kayak

TxAgYak

Looking for 1st Kayak

Post by TxAgYak »

Howdy folks,

I am looking for a good quality, stable, good running kayak for a decent bargain. I will primarily use this Kayak to travel to hunting spots on lakes and rivers, but will likely fish in the bay from time to time as well. I am 6'5" 245# so I would like a stable and high capacity rig. I've done as much research as I feel like I can, but am looking for more 1st person responses. I would like to stay below $1000 and don't mind going used at all.

I do think I will end up avoided pedal driven, as I would only buy a Hobie PA 12/14, but do not want to afford that at this time.

I do want quality. What can you tell me about Wilderness Systems, NuCanoe, Perception, Bonafide, Field & Stream, Ascend, Feel Free, Vibe or Native. It seems I might be able to snag a used one of the above inside my price range, but don't want to end up with buyers remorse. Likely looking for at least 11.5+ length.

Thanks!
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Looking for 1st Kayak

Post by Neumie »

Ascend, Field & Stream, & Perception won't offer anything with the weight capacity you'd need for using it as a duck hunting rig. You'll probably need something in the 500 lbs range.

Wilderness System Ride 135, Nucanoe Pursuit, Feel Free Lure, Native Slayer, Vibe Sea Ghost 130, and Bonafide would fit the bill. Bonafide is so new, I doubt you'll find one for a grand. The Lure and Slayer are slugs in the water. I'd concentrate on finding a Ride 135, Pursuit or Sea Ghost. The Sea Ghost would be the most efficient, Pursuit would be the most stable, the Ride would fall in the middle of the road of the two.
TxAgYak

Re: Looking for 1st Kayak

Post by TxAgYak »

This is great info, thank you!!!