New Yakker Here!

Dejavu21

New Yakker Here!

Post by Dejavu21 »

What's going on everyone. I'm a new yakker here. Been in one once a few years back with some friends around Lake Conroe. I just bought a cheap Field & Stream eagle talon 120 kayak (Early Fathers Day gift) so now need to try some fishing from it once I get it rigged up. Probably gonna start out at The Lagoon since a buddy like to go there. I've always been a bank fisherman, so not much experience with lures other than some neighborhood ponds here in The Woodlands. Anyway, love the website and the helpful info I've found so far.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: New Yakker Here!

Post by kickingback »

We just lost a kayaker at Conroe last week who was not wearing a PFD. Go over all the safety requirements and use them all! Youtube videos will help.
Dejavu21

Post by Dejavu21 »

THanks, I bought my PFD before the Kayak......
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Welcome!!
Just keep it simple and fish as if your still on the bank. Spinner baits, crank baits and plastic worms if bass is your target. Also just good ol worms and a bobber. I went to Lake Conroe Monday (Stow A Way Marina) and did pretty good just fishing with worms and a bobber. Caught 3 channel cats (1 was about 4lbs) and 1 bass about 15" and about 20 or so big bream. The bream get big in Lake Conroe. I always try and stay up at the north part of the lake from Calvery road and up because of the crazy boaters. My friend talked me into launching at Seven Coves a couple weekends ago, and man, that boat ramp gets busy and a lot of boaters around. Also, we got caught in a storm that came through and I swear the waves were 2.5' to 3' high. Needless to say it got a little hairy trying to get back to the ramp. Always wear that pfd!
This was the same day that kayaker drowned way before the storms rolled in.