When to use bed extender?

AK4900PA

When to use bed extender?

Post by AK4900PA »

How much overhang past the tailgate do you guys usually consider acceptable before it's a good idea to use a bed extender? I ordered a Ram 2500 with a long bed that will hopefully arrive in the next 2 weeks. I have a W/S Ride 135. With an 8' bed would an extender still be worthwhile or is it unnecessary?
TG05

Re: When to use bed extender?

Post by TG05 »

With the tailgate down, you should have just a few feet hanging over unsupported and should be okay without a bed extender.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I have 5.5' bed (crew cab) and I don't use extender even for 14' kayak. You probably would want to use it for fiberglass kayaks, but polyethylene ones -- I see no point.
AK4900PA

Post by AK4900PA »

I don't have the truck yet, but from what I've found online the distance from the front wall of the bed to the edge of the tailgate (in the down position) is ~10.5'. My kayak is 13.5'. Is this enough overhang to justify buying an extender?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Think about the weight balance for stress on the kayak while traveling over bumpy roads. If you have more of the kayak, or more weighted end of the kayak sticking out then every bump will put heavy stresses on the kayak at the point where it touches the tailgate.
I would not want more than 35% of the kayak hanging on that stress point. If the kayak is 12' and you can get 8' in the bed and the other 4' hanging over I think it would be fine as long as you pad the area on the tailgate to pad any bouncing or hard road bumps. Angling the kayak in the bed helps as well.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

8 foot bed, plus about 2 feet for the tailgate, I think you will be fine. I also have about a 6 foot bed and a 14 foot yak, I don't use a bed extender, haven't had a problem yet. I think if you have more of the yak in the bed and tailgate than what's hanging out it will be fine.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

0U812 wrote:
Crusader wrote:I have 5.5' bed (crew cab) and I don't use extender even for 14' kayak. You probably would want to use it for fiberglass kayaks, but polyethylene ones -- I see no point.
So , you have around 8ft. hanging out?
Yes, but as others pointed out -- most people have tailgate for extra support.
A $50 bed extender sure solves the problem.
Which problem? ;)
Poly yaks take the road rash better after it falls without an extension?
I typically tie it down.
Okie Dokie
okdok.png
okdok.png (101.83 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

mine is 14 foot and i just recently got an extender... middle of my kayak was starting to bow on bottom from hanging over my tailgate... so yea extender solved the problem
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I wouldn't use a bed extender in your situation, roughly 3/4 of the kayak will be supported when transporting with the tailgate down.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

And don't forget , when required, your little red DOT required flag.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

texnomad wrote:And don't forget , when required, your little red DOT required flag.
In Texas you only need it if the kayak extends MORE than 4' off the back of the vehicle carrying the kayak. 3' for the front.