Just Introducing Myself

AnglinTexas

Just Introducing Myself

Post by AnglinTexas »

I just purchased my first Yak. I got a couple of FeelFree Moken 12.5 this past week for the wife and I. We played around on B.A. Steinhagen some this past week and plan on going out to Lake Raven this Friday. I’m excited about getting back on the water and fishing. Any tips for some largemouth on Raven? I’ve never been out there.

Cyrus

Last edited by AnglinTexas on Mon May 07, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
IrishSharker

Re: Just Introducing Myself

Post by IrishSharker »

Wacky worms, senkos, frogs, swim jigs. Watermelon seed or black&blue there is some big big fish in there just not as good as it was 15 years ago watch for gators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AnglinTexas

Post by AnglinTexas »

IrishSharker wrote:Wacky worms, senkos, frogs, swim jigs. Watermelon seed or black&blue there is some big big fish in there just not as good as it was 15 years ago watch for gators.

Thanks, from what I’ve read it has been fairly heavily pressured in the past, is that still the case?

Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Welcome! Raven does have lots and lots of pressure. The lures mentioned above should do the trick though. And if you want to save the day from a skunk bring some earth worms and fish for bream. Some of the biggest bream I have ever seen are in there by the 1000's. I'm talking 10" to 13" bull bream. And they are good eating. There are some big gators but they are usually just on a mission from one area to the other and don't pay any mind to people. The smaller ones are the ones that get curious.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Welcome! Look forward to reading some fishing reports and meeting up some day!
AnglinTexas

Post by AnglinTexas »

Cityfisher wrote:Welcome! Raven does have lots and lots of pressure. The lures mentioned above should do the trick though. And if you want to save the day from a skunk bring some earth worms and fish for bream. Some of the biggest bream I have ever seen are in there by the 1000's. I'm talking 10" to 13" bull bream. And they are good eating. There are some big gators but they are usually just on a mission from one area to the other and don't pay any mind to people. The smaller ones are the ones that get curious.
Thanks, sounds like a good plan!

Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

IrishSharker wrote:Wacky worms, senkos, frogs, swim jigs. Watermelon seed or black&blue there is some big big fish in there just not as good as it was 15 years ago watch for gators.

I saw the biggest bass I have ever seen blow up on my Rappala redfin one morning. It was late April...She missed it and I almost fell overboard trying to set the hook.
I still get get the shakes thinking about that fish. lol
It had to have been 10lbs easy. Uhhhgg
IrishSharker

Post by IrishSharker »

My dad and rigged a piece of plywood on his center console bow rails and site fished there in early spring. We had a big girl on a bed and my dad would pitch his jig and she would suck it up and he’d just watch her swim trying to let me catch it. After about 5 min of this and me never getting her to eat mine he set the hook and she went 11lbs 8oz and as a 13 year old i just lost it lol. I can still see that big girl in 8 ft of water we thought she was pushing 9-10lbs but no clue that big! A good way to catch those bass if you aren’t opposed To it is get some of those 5” break and put a hook through em with a balloon about 5ft down and you can have a blast!
AnglinTexas

Post by AnglinTexas »

IrishSharker wrote:..... he set the hook and she went 11lbs 8oz and as a 13 year old i just lost it lol. I can still see that big girl in 8 ft of water we thought she was pushing 9-10lbs but no clue that big!
If I land a 11+ lb bass I’ll probably loose it too!! I’ve only hooked into a 10+ once in my life. I was on a private community lake. She was in a fallen pine tree top, on a spinner bait, when I got her 10 feet from the boat, she came out of the water and tossed the spinner bait out like she spit it out. I wanted to cry.

IrishSharker

Post by IrishSharker »

I just sat down in the bottom of the boat teary eyed and pouted for about 5 min lol good luck and give us a report!

AnglinTexas

Post by AnglinTexas »

Well, it was a fun trip, very nice lake. We enjoyed the paddling even with the wind out of the SE around 15mph or so. I don’t have a anchor set up for my yak yet, so it was hard to do any finesse fishing. So we got skunked, but it was still a enjoyable day. Looking forward to our next outing... we’re thinking about doing Village Creek soon.