Any nice places to take my wife kayaking this weekend?

DanSerr

Any nice places to take my wife kayaking this weekend?

Post by DanSerr »

Want to take out my wife kayaking this Sunday, any suggestions for South of Houston? Preferably somewhere with a deck to launch the yak. Thanks!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Any nice places to take my wife kayaking this weekend?

Post by kickingback »

Fresh or slat? What kind of fish do you want to catch?
DanSerr

Post by DanSerr »

kickingback wrote:Fresh or slat? What kind of fish do you want to catch?
Might do a little fishing, either or no preference. Somewhere with not a strong current

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crusher

Post by crusher »

For sightseeing with your wife, we'd be better served to know a little more info. But here are a couple ideas that may or may not be what you're looking for.
First, weather is really important if you need really good pleasant conditions. Luckily it looks pretty good this weekend but forecasts are pretty untrustworthy 4 days out.
If it does get breezy, you want a windbreak. This normally means stay close to shorelines rather than open water, or maybe even a canal neighborhood. I once, while visiting friends in the neighborhood, took my wife along in our tandem (she's not a kayaker) through the canals of one of the Galveston canal neighborhoods and she enjoyed the ride. Pirates Beach and Jamaica Beach can both be launched in to and paddled.
Third, if you want some scenery other than houses I can't afford, go to to West Bay or over to Christmas or Drum Bay. Galveston State Park has a couple launches, you can get some wind break and should stay in pretty calm waters as well as shallow. As for Drum and Christmas Bays, both are scenic enough, and you can launch on the Follet Island side (Surfside), and paddle around.
You stand a chance of finding fish in any of West, Drum or Christmas Bays either along the grass lines or near oyster-mud areas.
To find launch sites, search this site, pick up a Hook n Line map at ACK, FTU, or Academy, or zoom in on Google Earth and you should see places that are pretty obvious park and launch sites.
I don't know if any of this is useful for you or not.
Good luck.
DanSerr

Post by DanSerr »

crusher wrote:For sightseeing with your wife, we'd be better served to know a little more info. But here are a couple ideas that may or may not be what you're looking for.
First, weather is really important if you need really good pleasant conditions. Luckily it looks pretty good this weekend but forecasts are pretty untrustworthy 4 days out.
If it does get breezy, you want a windbreak. This normally means stay close to shorelines rather than open water, or maybe even a canal neighborhood. I once, while visiting friends in the neighborhood, took my wife along in our tandem (she's not a kayaker) through the canals of one of the Galveston canal neighborhoods and she enjoyed the ride. Pirates Beach and Jamaica Beach can both be launched in to and paddled.
Third, if you want some scenery other than houses I can't afford, go to to West Bay or over to Christmas or Drum Bay. Galveston State Park has a couple launches, you can get some wind break and should stay in pretty calm waters as well as shallow. As for Drum and Christmas Bays, both are scenic enough, and you can launch on the Follet Island side (Surfside), and paddle around.
You stand a chance of finding fish in any of West, Drum or Christmas Bays either along the grass lines or near oyster-mud areas.
To find launch sites, search this site, pick up a Hook n Line map at ACK, FTU, or Academy, or zoom in on Google Earth and you should see places that are pretty obvious park and launch sites.
I don't know if any of this is useful for you or not.
Good luck.
Thank you Crusher really helped!

thechucked

Post by thechucked »

Buffalo Run Park in Missouri City may be worth checking out. I've never been, but its a 45acre lake, no wake, and they have a boat ramp. I do see people on various Facebook groups posting pictures of large mouth from there if you want to fish.
DanSerr

Post by DanSerr »

thechucked wrote:Buffalo Run Park in Missouri City may be worth checking out. I've never been, but its a 45acre lake, no wake, and they have a boat ramp. I do see people on various Facebook groups posting pictures of large mouth from there if you want to fish.
Thabks chucked, thats the only place Ive been its nice. They have fishing piers and also a dock to launch the yak and a boat ramp.