JK Big Rig or FF Lure 13.5

TxAgYak

Post by TxAgYak »

Howdy!

I am looking at grabbing a Jackson Big Rig Or a Feel Free Lure 13.5....

I am 6’5” 250# and will use this yak to hunt and fish all sizes of water with the exception of offshore.

Are these good options? Is there something better?

Looking for insight from the brain trust. Thanks!
CoachFlex

Re: JK Big Rig or FF Lure 13.5

Post by CoachFlex »

If budget wasn't an issue I'd say go with the big rig.

The vibe sea ghost 130 is also a great big guy yak and good price.

Another good option for us bigs is the ascend 128T and new cabelas pro angler.

I actually just scored a smoking deal on the new ozark kayak. 12' and rated at 150lbs. Can stand and fish easily. Scored for 399$ brand new.

Trade off to super stable and weight capacity is going to be weight and slower speed. Vibe is pretty quick though.Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
TxAgYak

Post by TxAgYak »

Thanks! Yeah, definitely going to be budget minded, but at the same time I don’t mind spending money on quality...

Why do you say the big rig over the lure 13.5?

My primary criteria:
Quality
Stability
Speed
Tracking

Can anyone speak to any mentioned related to the above needs? Thanks!
CoachFlex

Re: RE: Re: JK Big Rig or FF Lure 13.5

Post by CoachFlex »

TxAgYak wrote:Thanks! Yeah, definitely going to be budget minded, but at the same time I don’t mind spending money on quality...

Why do you say the big rig over the lure 13.5?

My primary criteria:
Quality
Stability
Speed
Tracking

Can anyone speak to any mentioned related to the above needs? Thanks!
No experience with the lure. Have a buddy who's about 300lbs and has a big rig. Loves it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
John b

Post by John b »

I have a Jackson big rig and a Kilroy. I haven’t used a lure 13.5 but it would be hard to beat the big rig. I am 6’4” 280 and it provides a good stable ride. You can pack it full of gear for long trips, days. I am looking to sell if you interested. I just don’t use them enough. They are 2015 models in new condition with extras on the big rig. if you are interested call or text and I’ll send pictures. Good luck.

(361)275-1013
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

I have the Lure 11.5 and absolutely love it. It is definitely a good quality yak. I chose it over the Lure 13.5 for logistic reasons. It was just to darn big for transporting. Never been on a Big Rig but looking at the specs that thing is 2" wider than the Lure and weighs the same as the Lure. But, it looks like it is about $200 more.
Also, with the Lure you will have the option to get the pedal drive for it or an electric motor they are making for it that fits right in the removable sonar pod.
TxAgYak

Post by TxAgYak »

Cityfisher wrote:I have the Lure 11.5 and absolutely love it. It is definitely a good quality yak. I chose it over the Lure 13.5 for logistic reasons. It was just to darn big for transporting. Never been on a Big Rig but looking at the specs that thing is 2" wider than the Lure and weighs the same as the Lure. But, it looks like it is about $200 more.
Also, with the Lure you will have the option to get the pedal drive for it or an electric motor they are making for it that fits right in the removable sonar pod.
Good review, thanks!

How is the stability and performance in the 11.5 over the 13.5? I like the idea of the smaller yak if it works just as good...

Primarily will be for hunting and fishing. Not too many crazy plans.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

I can stand and do a 360 on mine.The 11.5 is really close in specs, weight capacities and such to the 13.5. I bought mine after I met a guy coming in from fishing on a 13.5 Lure, I fell in love right then. The 13.5 was huge to me after fishing for 3 years on a 10 ft Heritage so I decided on the 11.5. lol
Bradleto

Post by Bradleto »

I don't know the others but one advantage of a Big Rig is it comes ready to fish with less need to add after-market items (expensive!.)

Features:

A Big Rig comes with a high/low seat built sturdy for big anglers;
It has an already-installed stand assist bar with multiple other uses;
It has a built-in routing for a chain anchor off the stern of the boat;
A mount area, too, for many common stern adds like anchor poles;
It has two rocket launcher rodholders and one track-mounted one, so a total of 3 standard;
Plenty of track for other adds;
It comes with a Nalgene water bottle and a molded-in area (between the knees) to strap it in for easy grabbing;
And, it has two horizontal rod holders, room in the front hatch to carry 6 or so more if you wanted to;
It has molded in areas on each side of the seat for Plano boxes for tackle;
It has slip-resistant mats in the standing area.

Few kayaks are as stable at its 38" beam and 13+ length. There are only a few kayaks that are REALLY stable enough to stand and relax and fish. Most? You have to really stay focused.

92 lbs. w/o seat, 99 with so it is a big, very solid kayak. Built very solidly, this one should last well over a decade if cared for.

You can literally un-wrap a Big Rig, grab a rod and a Plano box and be on the water with little fuss.

Brad