Paddle length

safarigene

Paddle length

Post by safarigene »

I picked up a Predator 13 recently and I am about to get a paddle. Looking to keep it below $200. I am just curious about length. I am 6ft and some charts show me needing a 240cm and some a 260cm. Also wondering about a high or low angle paddle. Most of my time will be spent on lakes like Belton and Stillhouse, but with the occasional trip to the coast for some bay fishing.

I was looking at the Aquabound Manta Ray carbon in a 250cm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
rbdavis3591

Re: Paddle length

Post by rbdavis3591 »

I also am 6 foot tall and I started with a Predator 13 and used a Bending Branches 240 cm angler paddle which works although if I was not careful I would sometimes hit the side of the kayak while paddling.

I had a chance to buy a 260 cm paddle cheap so I tried that and was able to paddle the Predator 13 better. I had to go back to the 240 cm paddle after I backed my trailer over one of the 260 cm blades and cracked it.

So either length paddle would work and the 250 cm might be a good choice. Of course a paddle you could adjust to different lengths https://www.austinkayak.com/products/20 ... addle.html would work.

The other part of the equation is the weight of the kayak paddle and the distances you will be paddling. Given your $200 budget you can get a heavier paddle that could wear you out or spend twice your budget and get a lighter paddle. You will have to decide which type of paddle will work for you but for me I was happy with the heavier, cheaper paddle rather than upgrading to a lighter paddle. If I were going on long distance paddles then I might have invested in a lighter paddle but instead I decided to upgrade to the Predator MK.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I think you should chip in another $20 for this one
https://www.outdoorplay.com/Werner-Cama ... scplp28336

when my daughter was 15, she had a Werner, and I couldn't keep up with her with my top-line A/T paddle. When I bought myself a Werner Camano, got my edge back.
safarigene

Post by safarigene »

I was able to sneak over to Austin Canoe and Kayak this afternoon. Handled several different ones while sitting in a boat like mine. Ended up with the best feeling one in my budget being a 250cm Aquabound Manta Ray. Picked that and a couple rod holders up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
rbdavis3591

Post by rbdavis3591 »

It is now time to finish rigging your Predator 13 or if you have already rigged it it is time to re-rig it :lol: