Gloves for sun protection?

rball5

Gloves for sun protection?

Post by rball5 »

I realized after my second outing that I needed to cover my skin (sunscreen wasn't enough or I didn't apply it often enough). I bought some PFG clothing and a buff for my face but didn't really think about gloves. My hands have quite the tan after a bit more week on the water.

Does anyone have a favorite brand/series of glove for sun protection while you're on a kayak? I think I want something that's not bulky, won't hold moisture, and is easy to clean (or cheap enough to be disposable when it gets nasty).
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Gloves for sun protection?

Post by kickingback »

I use Glacier Gloves inshore and Gorilla Gloves offshore. The Glacier's have fingerless tips which make it easier to tie loop and special knots for lure maneuverability. The Gorilla's are all rubber except the back of the hand and helps to prevent hooks from king rigs snagging on them.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

Buff brand water sports gloves like that they are fingerless easy to clean

Also have some sims brand like them too

Z-man
DelSol
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by DelSol »

Z~MAN wrote:Buff brand water sports gloves like that they are fingerless easy to clean
2nd that. I wear them every outing 8)
rball5

Post by rball5 »

Thanks all. I'll check out the Buff gloves next time I leave the island (the Galveston Academy is a bit limited).
smokedcuda

Post by smokedcuda »

I have a pair of Simms fingerless gloves and the palms are open you might pay a bit more but these have been fantastic.
rball5

Post by rball5 »

Open palms could be good, less area to get dirty & open palms should be cooler in the heat. I like to try on gloves before I buy (big hands), but sizing probably isn't quite as critical for fingerless gloves.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I used cheap fishing gloves bought on aliexpress.com (about a dollar per pair). Then at some point switched to fish hide shirt -- it replaces shirt, buff and gloves (and you can't forget to take it with you).
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I shop Aliexpress myself for lots of fishing gear. They have some great prices!
Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

Search on "paddle gloves" at ack.com, there are plenty of choices.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I have to cover up every time I'm on the water, and these gloves are both comfortable and sensitive (I can feel and tie 20lb braid while wearing them). They run about $5 each and last more than a few trips.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIP-MaxiFlex-Ul ... SwImRYXYe8
rball5

Post by rball5 »

Crusader wrote:I used cheap fishing gloves bought on aliexpress.com (about a dollar per pair). Then at some point switched to fish hide shirt -- it replaces shirt, buff and gloves (and you can't forget to take it with you).
I really like this idea - I'll definitely be ordering some of these in the future.

Thanks everyone for the replies!
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

rball5 wrote:
Crusader wrote:I used cheap fishing gloves bought on aliexpress.com (about a dollar per pair). Then at some point switched to fish hide shirt -- it replaces shirt, buff and gloves (and you can't forget to take it with you).
I really like this idea - I'll definitely be ordering some of these in the future.
I bought mine on sale for ~$20 about 2 years ago -- it is still very good after god knows how many washes. (at least 80)

Keep in mind that those sleeves have your knuckles exposed, so you'll end up with peculiar tan on your hands :-). I don't care about it but some may. Interesting thing is that even though I spend entire day under the sun -- exposed parts (knuckles/fingers) never get burned to the point of peeling or hurting. Looks like skin is tougher on them.