Kayak Question

LoneStar21

Kayak Question

Post by LoneStar21 »

Hi all! I have always fished jetties and dikes near Houston, but now have an itch to take it out on the water. Since I don't have the money or space to get a boat or skiff, I thought a fishing kayak would be a great option. I have gone to a local shop that tried to sell me a $2000+ kayak as a beginner with the sales pitch of" buy this and never worry about upgrading." I personally thought it was overkill since as a beginner I wasn't comfortable speeding that kind of money. I joined this forum seeking help from this kayaking community about your thoughts about the kayaks at Academy or any other big box stores and the size I have been considering. I have been eyeing the 12' Pescador, but a buddy of mine says to get a 13'. Is that extra foot really worth the additional $200-$300? I do not intend to take the kayak off shore or do anything hardcore with it. I just want to be able to get out on the water with friends and other kayakers to catch bigger fish instead of the usual small croakers and catfish.
Salaqua

Re: Kayak Question

Post by Salaqua »

Hello. From what I have read, most recommend, I think rightly so, a starter kayak of some sort. The one you mentioned is also another common kayak recommended to this function. You could probably even find a better deal on Craiglist, here, or TKF Facebook page. If you end up enjoying this sport, then you can always upgrade. I would recommend an entry level fishing kayak over one that is not meant for fishing gear that is needed to fish. Besides, recommending a 2K-3K kayak is putting you in the peddle drive systems. There are many kayaks that are really nice in the 1000-1800.
JRB-USMC

Post by JRB-USMC »

I always recommend renting some kayaks and trying them out to see what works for you. There are a few different ways to do this. Not sure where you live, but places like Austin Canoe & Kayak (ACK) or Fishing Tackle Unlimited (FTU) have demo days where they will take out about 20 or so kayaks and you can go out there and paddle/peddle them for free that day. This allows you to do comparisons of how they work for you. Absolutely worth the time if you are newer to kayaking. Another way is to go to somewhere that rents them. Rent one and go fishing for a day. Rental is generally decent priced ($50/day) and they will apply the $50 rental fee towards the purchase should you decide to buy one. Other option is finding people on this forum that will let you try theirs out or they may have an extra to loan you and let you fish for the day.

Size, style, etc. is completely personal and most kayak fisherman vary in preferences. The beauty is how many options there are and the ability to rig them anyway you want. Me personally, I used to have a 14'6" kayak and I loved it but I didn't want a trailer to haul it or lose room in my garage to store it. I went down to a 12' and haven't noticed any real difference from it. 12' works for me.

I agree with Salaqua on finding a much better deal on this form or craigslist. Good luck!
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

LoneStar21 wrote:I have been eyeing the 12' Pescador, but a buddy of mine says to get a 13'. Is that extra foot really worth the additional $200-$300?
12' Pescador is the best yak for beginner, period. If you are below 240lb, that is (It is perfect for 180lb). They sell on Craigslist for as cheap as $250 (but usually around $450). $20 pfd, $30 paddle, $40 medium-fast action rod, $20 reel, $20 bucee's soft cooler, few jigs and tails and you are all set. Use your head and don't go fishing near places like SLP or big ships.
I do not intend to take the kayak off shore or do anything hardcore with it. I just want to be able to get out on the water with friends and other kayakers to catch bigger fish instead of the usual small croakers and catfish.
There is a very good chance you won't catch a thing in your first few outings. There is a lot of water out there that doesn't hold any (targeted) fish... :)
Last edited by Crusader on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

i love my 12ft pescador