Just Won a "Jetski Powered" Kayak...HELP!

bradinsatx

Just Won a "Jetski Powered" Kayak...HELP!

Post by bradinsatx »

Hello all and thank you for allowing me to bounce some ideas off you experts. I just won a Surfango Hawaii jetski powered kayak. I have only rented kayaks in the past and love them but my wife would not let me "be selfish" and spend $4k on boat for myself. Well, now I've won the Surfango (what a horrible name) and I think it could open some doors to kayaking from the since of getting close to the water. That's the intro, now the questions...

Where do you start??? I have the notion to explore this powered kayak and see what it can do, and more importantly, if I can fish from it, but I am faced with a fear that this will be just a toy and will not provide the kayak experience I am looking for. Now, I am not looking to be lectured by some kayak elitists just for some well thought guidance on what things I need to consider moving forward.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Best,
BradinSATX
Tombo

Re: Just Won a "Jetski Powered" Kayak...HELP!

Post by Tombo »

Just get out and get used to it then start rigging it. Go in water similar to a jet ski due to it uses a water pump for propulsion.
Think of it as a tool to get you where you want. Heck, just go for a spin. Use your imagination. there are no rules per say.
Do you have a trailer? Might be a bit heavy to launch like a kayak, might need a boat launch.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

one thing i would advise is to take the free Texas certified boaters safety course online. I'm doing this myself since i got a solo skiff just to get a refresher, mainly for the navigation laws and safety requirements that go along with powered vessels. I have learned a couple of tid bits along the way as well. here's the link in case you're interested. https://elearning.boatus.org/ i think i read that there may be a small processing fee for tpwd or whoever issues the certificate, but the "class" part is free. or if you were born before September 1, 1993 you're not required to take it, you could always just go through the sections and not take the certification test.

as far as rigging goes keep it simple, go out and learn the boat before adding things to it. you'll get a feel for areas that you need to keep clear and where things would be handy. otherwise treat it like a jetski since it uses the same propulsion system as far as running depth.

I forgot to add ALWAYS BRING A PADDLE, even if it's stored in the hull. the last thing you'd want is to be miles from the launch and the motor breaks down. and like all small powered craft a PFD is required in the boat, but even better if it's being worn. (won't lecture though, it's personal choice).
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

First, buy a very good PFD! You may be using it a lot.
TexasJim
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If you give everyone a video or pic of the yak it might help...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihgoxosKZjM

I think it looks great for one or two pole light tackle trips. Doesn't look to have much room for storing gear as most kayaks have the inner storage and places within reach to grab tackle and rods. It can be done but like I said, I would use it to get to great out of the way areas and I would bring a fly rod or two rods, one popping cork and one lure bait caster with a few extra lures for diversity.
And with the speed you have to buckle everything down well or you gonna lose it to the wind as well as pounding waves now. Just get to know it well before going "full throttle" everywhere.
I hate the travel between spots in yak. The most time consuming experience in a yak unless you are trolling in areas where the trip can be productive as well.
Lollipop
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Lollipop »

About 60 years ago I raced my uncle's Mini-Max. 8 foot long, 4 foot wide, 8" thick at the back and tapering to 1/2 inch at the bow. We mounted an old style 10 horse Mercury on it. On calm water it would hit 35 mph. I could get extra speed when we removed the steering mechanism and I stretched out on the boat and grabbed the bow and steered with my foot. Sanctioned competition would not allow this technique.

A couple of things I found out the hard way which I wish someone had told me.

1. If you take a wave over the bow, there was no problem. A second wave it got antsy. A third wave and it headed down. There is not time top cut the engine before it sucks in water.

2. Always have a dead-man throttle. Boats circle when the pilot falls out.

3. If you fall out at 25 mph, the water treats your skin like falling out of a car at 5 miles per hour. I learned the hard way.

My uncle did not understand the thrill of going 35 mph with just 1/4 inch of plywood and a couple coats of paint between you and the water. He sold the boat to keep me from killing myself.