New to Kayaking, currently shopping

Rsparrow

New to Kayaking, currently shopping

Post by Rsparrow »

Hi, name is Randy. I am not yet a Kayaker but aspire to be one soon. Currently I am shopping for a fishing Kayak and have kind of zeroed in on 2 models. Probably important to note, I am what I like to call Athletically Overweight :roll: at a shade over 6' 2" and 265 pounds. So max boat capacity is important when using the 70% rule. The two yaks are the Feelfree Lure 13.5 (500/350) and the Ocean Prowler BG2 (600/420). I know I will be a day Kayaker, no interest in camping unless it's at a hotel and not really a gear nut. I have 3 rods and a small amount of tackle. Just looking for something comfortable and stable to get out on the lake with. Fish mainly for bass and blue gill. Any thoughts, insight, additional options or experience you would like to share will be appreciated.
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: New to Kayaking, currently shopping

Post by Neumie »

Out of those two I'd go with the Big Game. I think it's a better paddling kayak and has a more comfortable seat. Also, Feel Free is made in China where as the Big Game is American made.

Other kayaks that fall within your $1400 price range and offer a high weight capacity, very stable platform, and comfortable seat are:
Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5
Old Town Predator 13
Wilderness systems Radar 115
Wilderness systems Ride 135 with the AirPro MAX Seat
Rsparrow

Post by Rsparrow »

Neumie wrote:Out of those two I'd go with the Big Game. I think it's a better paddling kayak and has a more comfortable seat. Also, Feel Free is made in China where as the Big Game is American made.

Other kayaks that fall within your $1400 price range and offer a high weight capacity, very stable platform, and comfortable seat are:
Old Town Predator 13
Thanks.
I have "slowed my roll" a bit after looking at the bottom line for the FF Yak and the starter stuff . ACK has a demo days this weekend in New Braunfels, so I think I will drive down and try some paddling. Will give me a chance to overnight in Killeen and and see my Grand Squirts. Makes sense the Ocean YAK would handle better, it is a bit shorter, a lot lighter and narrower. I do like the Wilderness 135 too. Appreciate the info!
Rsparrow

Post by Rsparrow »

Neumie wrote:Out of those two I'd go with the Big Game. I think it's a better paddling kayak and has a more comfortable seat. Also, Feel Free is made in China where as the Big Game is American made.

Old Town Predator 13
Thanks. I attended the San Marcos demo days this last Saturday. One of your suggestions will be my boat. I liked the BG2, the Feelfree 13.5 is major stable but is a workout to keep moving. I liked the OT predator also but the winner for me was the Radar 135. I paddled 8 boats, several of which were just for fun. I actually dunked myself in the Viking Reload, 3 feet from landing it.... Ha, skinny boat, fat guy, splash! I paddled the Radar 3 separate times to be sure, I'm sure. Should receive it next week. ACK has been good to deal with. Pretty dang excited, going to be a long week. Thanks for the suggestions, very helpful.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Awesome. That's great to hear you got to test paddle some kayaks before you made your purchase. I htink you made a great choice, welcome to this sport!
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Welcome to kayak fishing! A whole new fishing world is now open for exploration.
I had been fishing on a Heritage 1o for the last 4 years. Just upgraded to a new one myself. That radar was up there on my list til I saw the Lure 13.5. That thing is a beast! At the last minute I went with the Lure 11.5 though for logistic reasons. So glad I did. I couldn't be happier.
Again, welcome!
fishing1134

Post by fishing1134 »

I have been fishing as long as I can remember - but new to kayaking. Lots of good info here. Thanks for sharing.
Rsparrow

Post by Rsparrow »

Cityfisher wrote:Welcome to kayak fishing! A whole new fishing world is now open for exploration.
I had been fishing on a Heritage 1o for the last 4 years. Just upgraded to a new one myself. That radar was up there on my list til I saw the Lure 13.5. That thing is a beast! At the last minute I went with the Lure 11.5 though for logistic reasons. So glad I did. I couldn't be happier.
Again, welcome!
Thanks. The Lure 13.5 was in my top four but after paddling all 4 the Radar for me, was the most comfortable. the Lure is a very cool Yak, very nice upgrade
Rsparrow

Post by Rsparrow »

The New Yak at rest..

Big feet on a lake

Happy newbie Yaker.....
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Sweet!
Cigarsnjeeps