Leave it cleaner than when you arrived

crusher

Leave it cleaner than when you arrived

Post by crusher »

Every so often a post shows up on the Saltwater page mentioning how a launch site is trashed. :evil: Maybe by accident, maybe by kayakers (mostly doubtful), maybe it is the bank fishing guys. It really doesn't matter though. If we all built in the habit, from early in our kayakfishing days, to keep a couple big trash bags in our vehicles then we can help keep our launches acceptably cleaned up. From experience, it takes less than 10 minutes to fill a large trash bag if the place is pretty ugly. And I'd argue we can all afford 5-10 minutes to clean up a bit on most trips, even if it's not our mess, once we've tied down our yaks and are getting ready to head out. Drop the filled trash bag in or next to the trash barrels at most public launches or bungee it down and throw in your own garbage bin at home if necessary.

The importance is that through the years, a few launches have indeed been closed down due to either inconsiderate parking or trash piles. As more people get in to this crazy addiction of kayakfishing, we need to be the ones to keep the launches cleaned up. We can't afford to keep slowly losing launch sites anywhere up and down the coast. Mom, pop, and ranger rick aren't cleaning up after us or the slobs that were there last week.
Sorry if this looks like a lecture; it's not intended to be - I wish someone would have suggested to keep garbage bags in my truck to me really early on.