heritage fisherman pro

katt72

heritage fisherman pro

Post by katt72 »

I'm new to the forum as well as new to kayaking. I own an iflatiable, but this is my 1st hardbody poly. I just purchased a 2007 heritage fisherman pro 14. I'm looking for some input on wheter this is an great yak for:

channel fishing, flats, marshes, bays, BTB, and OTC(Rigs).
I have a couple of issues I see as of now:

1) minimal storage
2) accessories
a: trolley motor
b: rudder system
I know there are some experienced yakers here, some input would be helpful?
Attachments
fisherman pro.jpg
crusher

Re: heritage fisherman pro

Post by crusher »

I don't know anything about the Heritage Pro other than what I see online and in your picture. As an impression only, it looks pretty basic. It doesn't look to have much open area for fishing right in front of your sitting position. An anchor trolley is a must-have in my opinion. I only see one rod holder, and no rails for after-market rod holders. It might paddle well and have good stability, etc, but I really have no idea. Kayak fishing to me requires both a good paddling kayak and one that is set up for you and your equipment.

Go to the springtime demo days that ACK and FTU will hold in various areas. Paddle all you can. There, you'll learn if you like long or short, skinny or wide, elevated seat or old-school seat, and more. After that, you'll have a better idea which kayak you really want. The weight also comes in to play for a lot of people due to loading and unloading from cartop or truckbed. If you're patient, all the main kayak models come for sale once in a while on a resale board or site.

Nearly any kayak can work as a starter kayak. It seems most people are flipping their first one and buying something they are more comfortable with within a year or so. Good luck either modifying this one or moving on to a next one. At worst, take this one out a couple times and see if you like it - maybe it's perfect for you. If we all liked the same kayak there wouldn't be about 100 on the market, would there?
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

No space for the cooler (for fish and drinks). Unless you only catch & release -- this is already a deal breaker for me.
wardtodd2

Post by wardtodd2 »

I would install two flush mount rod holders just behind the seat for starters. I wouldnt worry about a rudder and you don't really need an anchor trolley if you don't want one. Try running your anchor line through a carabiner attached to the front carry handle. Then tie off the anchor line with a figure nine carabiner attached to a side handle. No drilling needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kotter

Post by Kotter »

I'm not familiar with the Fisherman Pro. I don't worry about storage too much. I own a Perception Prism and there is no tank well. With some strategically placed bungees, I can take a soft-sided cooler (Hint: freeze H2O in 2-liter bottles).

I'm very much a minimalist. I don't take any more kayak fishing than I do wade fishing...in terms of fishing gear.

Not sure of your future, but if it involves family and friends, I'm sure this kayak will find a place.
katt72

Post by katt72 »

Thanks for your input/advice. I looking into modifying it, it has to 2 recessed rod holders behind the seat . 2 storage compartments. I will use a modified crate. I've seen some pics/videos of things built with PVC. Just looking for ideas to help setup to start fishing off-land! :lol:
wardtodd2

Post by wardtodd2 »

I posted a response here over the weekend and it never showed up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk