Predator PDL

Sabot

Predator PDL

Post by Sabot »

Calling all owners...

I am interested in the boat to try to stay over structure but I see it catches a lot of wind due to it's side height. I was thinking hard on the MK which would all me to cover more water. I fish tight line over structure and I thought the MK wouldnt be the right setup since it takes time to switch between forward and reverse. The PDL would give me real time feedback plus I won't have to move my hand down to the switch. Thoughts?
Bradleto

Re: Predator PDL

Post by Bradleto »

I think your assessment is generally correct. The action of holding position on water in a pedal kayak is sort of analogous to the way a unicycle is pedaled: some forward and backward pedaling to make small adjustments.

This is the issue with the new Hobie reverse drives, that their new reverse feature is like shifting gears and not totally independent as with a rotational pedaler. It is a great step forward, no doubt, but it wouldn't be much fun to make the little constant forward and backward adjustments that I and others use.

I can only speak specifically to a Native Propel 10. For this vessel, even in heavy winds, I rarely, very rarely, ever dropped an anchor fishing in lakes. It holds it position that well . . . just making rather minor pedal actions.

Hope this helps!

Brad
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

PDL is also the highest gear ratio drive unit out, so less pedaling involved all-around.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

jhb: I have often wondered what kayak pedal system gear ratios are? I have never seen it in any ads. Do you know? I have thought about building one from scratch, using a bead chain and sprockets. That setup would probably limit itself to 2:1, simply because of sprocket size limitations and housings. Do you think that would give enough speed and prop velocity?
TexasJim
Bradleto

Post by Bradleto »

TexasJim,

The Propel drives are 10 to 1.

At least one of the new pedal models out this year is a 6 to 1 . . . but I can't recall if it is the one that will soon be available for the new Wilderness pedaler . . . or if it is for the Predator.

I've seen videos of the new Predator PDL and it really looks fast.

For my money, I sort of wish the Propels actually had a bit more pedal resistance. As you lift and rotate your foot to the falling down stroke, just the weight of one's leg and foot seems to be all that is necessary to push it down.

I actually "feel" the effects of a day on the water pedaling my Propel 10 more in my abdominal muscles (from the repeated lifting of each of my knees in the up stroke) than I ever have in my legs or butt muscles.

It is much more like doing leg lifts than it is leg presses if you sort of follow my analogy to exercises.

Brad
Chrispyflyguy

Post by Chrispyflyguy »

I have the PDL and love it! its a bit tricky in heavy winds holding your spot as it likes to turn sideways to the wind, but as far as holding position in any sort of current, works great! you will need to keep a hand on the steering nob as the rudder likes to move around a bit in heavy current and winds.

This past weekend we had some pretty wicked winds here in Michigan, around 20-30 mph, I had the pdl out and it did great minus trying to turn sideways to the wind. It does catch a lot of wind once it is sideways but overall I thought the kayak did pretty great given the conditions.

I used the kayak a lot through the winter fishing for steelhead in the rivers and I can tell you it worked great holding my spot in some pretty quick current (~1500-2000 cfs)
ARSAN
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by ARSAN »

I've been eye-balling this rig as well. Been watching many videos and it looks fast, comfortable, and stable enough to stand easily.