Perception Pescador Pilot

Welderdude

Perception Pescador Pilot

Post by Welderdude »

Looking for any real user reviews on the Pescador Pilot. I now have a Hobie PA and while I enjoy it, I am interested in hearing about the Pilot. I have been partial to a Slayer Propel but the price on the Pilot has me wondering the differences.
Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Re: Perception Pescador Pilot

Post by Music Man »

Same here. Austin Kayak has two reviews up that are positive. Some YouTube videos are up (I bet more will appear as people try it out) that give a better idea. Negatives I've seen are that the hardware with the drive system will come loose and you have to have a tool with you, another piece of hardware can come off and drop into the water if you are not careful, and some have said the drive is noisy. Many positives though. Another complaint is that the drive extends a bit deeper than other models. I use a depth finder so that would be a concern for me.

Ability to stand and the seat are more positives.

My big concern is that the price point is so much lower that other pedal yaks - what have they done to get the price lower... Looking at the price and considering the other features of the yak, I'm guessing the drive has added about $700 - $850 to the cost compared to the Pescador Pro. Other drives are adding about $1,700 to the cost. Will the drive hold up? Will it stay sealed and handle salt conditions?

I would like to rent one for the weekend but ACK doesn't have any in inventory so will probably have to wait for Demo Days.

I'm also looking at the Pro Angler as I really like the deck and features. Still...can get two Pilots for what one Pro costs.
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

"I use a depth finder so that would be a concern for me."

Would NOT be a concern...typing too fast for my tired brain...
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

Just saw a new review posted on ACK. Had forgot about the rod holder issue. Videos from ICAST looked like these were typical rod holders. Also saw some comments about the configuration for a Power Pole did not make the production model. When I found out how expensive the Power Pole I was no longer concerned about that change :?

Here is the review:
"Took the yak out for the first time yesterday. Great boat. Handled chop and wind very well. It is very stable and tracks very well with the rudder. Also very easy to paddle. Only a few concerns. As everyone else has pointed out, rod holders are overly large and shallow. Can be fixed by making mods and adding flush mount holders. The more concerning issue if the Quick Key. Due to the slight side-to-side sway of the drive while pedaling, the Quick Key kept working itself out. Had to keep pushing it back in with my heel every few minutes. Will try to fix that with a spring clip. I would still recommend this boat for the money. Hopefully Perception can address these issues in the future."
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

Thanks for the input. I recently picked up a PA 12 but am already finding quirks with the boat. I agree with the price point and am waiting for the demo days to try one. Dislikes on the PA are the weight and the paddling, when it is necessary. I do like the rod storage, but find it harder to access my gear in the crate behind the seat but do enjoy the power from the fins. I have not discounted a possible sale or trade from the PA to a Pilot or a Slayer Propel. Time will tell but I am hopeful that more people will give input as they get the boats. If you are in the Austin area we can meet up and I would let you try the PA...its a 2015 so no reverse
Bradleto

Post by Bradleto »

There is at least the one "speed test" on YouTube and one of the participants posted this down in the comments:

"We tried to test the speed and the drive on the pilot was not working, the prop was loose, afterwards I tighten the two nuts holding the propeller it seems to be working, but it still feels very slow to me. We are going to test it again. The prop shouldn't get loose so easily, there are quality problems with that pedal drive system."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF1_lfZiVGM&t=238s

My take on first year kayaks, those with mechanical aspects like drives, is no matter how well the engineers design these, how well they test out in the laboratory, the real flaws will often only reveal themselves when buyers put them on the water and begin racking up the miles.

Native Watercraft went through this and made design changes, I think the last being a fix for water intruding into the gears causing rust and corrosion. I am less familiar with Hobie but I think its novel drive system has undergone changes, too.

*** I saw a Pescador Pilot in the Austin Kayak store in Houston and it is a lovely vessel with nice lines and overall appearance. I see the attraction, like the price point, too.

If it makes it and survives in the market place, I'd wait at least one model year and let them work out these various issues.

Brad
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

Good info and advice from Brad.

Welderdude: appreciate the offer to try your PA. I'm in the Houston area so not too close.
texasnavy05

Post by texasnavy05 »

curious about this kayaks rated capacity. im 300lbs and usually carry about 30-40 lbs in gear. im wondering where the water line would be. coming up scuppers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Newt556

Post by Newt556 »

Wish they would just offer the Kayak without the peddle drive. No way I can use a peddle drive here and the Kayak has a nice weight capacity and look to it.
greauxpete

Post by greauxpete »

Gave a review here. I have this yak.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 56#p2232556