Buying Advice - Devils Specific Kayak

Devils Advocate

Buying Advice - Devils Specific Kayak

Post by Devils Advocate »

I have read through a number of threads on TKF about the Devils River but have not seen any posts about selecting a kayak specifically for the Devils River. So I thought I would finally make a post asking you guys for help and guidance.

The Setting
I have access to 4 miles of the northern portion of the Devils River, think between Baker’s Crossing and the SNA. No real rapids or white water to speak of.

Experience
I have minimal experience kayaking but I did buy a John Boat a few years back and have done some paddling around the Devils River.

Usage
The primary uses of the kayak are for exploring, floating, swimming and beer drinking – with some fishing mixed in. Probably in that order as well. I don’t anticipate using my future kayak anywhere other than the Devils, and I primarily intend to use it on the portion of the river I currently have access to. A one or two night excursion might be a possibility in the future. I will only get about 6-7 days on the water a year, so usage will be light relative to other TKF posters.

My Size
I am 6’3” and 185 lbs

Preferences & Priorities (In order)
  • Price – Max price of $900
    Durability – What plastic types are the best for durability? What thickness is standard? I know the Devils River has limestone rocks that can be particularly bad, couple this with the fact that I don’t take great care of my gear and I need a very durable kayak.
    Portability – Being able to load and unload the kayak from the truck is very important to me and I also assume this will help with portaging as well. As a result most of the kayaks I am considering are around 10’ in length and 55 lbs in weight. However, due to my size (6’3” & 185 lbs) a larger kayak might be a better option.
    Stability & Ease of Use – Getting in and out of the kayak with relative ease is important as I will be using the kayak to travel to my deer blinds and would like to keep my rifle dry. Also, it would be nice to be able to hop off, go for a swim and hop right back on. As a result I have focused on SOT kayaks, but am not closed minded to SIK.
    Performance – I would like to have the fastest kayak I can get without sacrificing too much maneuverability or adding too much length/weight. Paddling into the wind and/or upstream is going to happen from time to time. I know this is an overarching contradiction, but one can dream, right?
    Comfort – A comfortable and durable seat would be a nice bonus.
    Weight Capacity – Having the option of doing a one or two night excursion would be nice.
    Features/Add Ons – Fishing rod holders, cup holders, center consoles, webbed pockets are nice bonuses but not essential.
Kayak Research
So I am not asking for you guys to do all the work and thinking for me. I have done some research on kayak types, brands, prices, features, etc. In this link (http://tinyurl.com/jj2tbbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) you will find a spreadsheet containing a list of kayaks from a variety of major manufacturers, I have listed 133 kayaks. The data in the spreadsheet is from each manufacturers’ website. The price listed is the MSRP from the manufacturers’ website, if no MSRP was provided a quick Google search was used. Please excuse any omissions or errors. I have listed several kayaks that are above or below my listed preferences to get a broader perspective on types, value, features, etc. The data is sorted by – SIK vs SOT, then Boat Length, then Price and then Boat Weight.

My Short List (based on the above research and preferences)
Please keep in mind that these are the thoughts, priorities and preferences of someone who knows nothing about kayaking. Please add any and all feedback that might be helpful.
  • Wilderness Systems Tarpon 10
    Perception Pescador Pro 10.5
    Feel Free Moken Lite 10
    Perception Pescador 10
    Elie Coast 10
    Feel Free Moken 10
    Jackson Cruise 10
Thanks for taking the time to read. Any help you all could provide would be greatly appreciated.
RiveRover

Re: Buying Advice - Devils Specific Kayak

Post by RiveRover »

Your missing probably the best river yak Ive ever used, The Diablo Paddlesports Amigo. Right in your price range,super stable and durable. I river camp out of mine all the time and its extermely capable AND made in Texas. Do yourself a favor and take a look at them before you make your purchase!
Devils Advocate

Post by Devils Advocate »

RiveRover, thanks for the reply. I will make sure to take a look
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

The Feel Free kayaks paddle poorly, but offer tremendous stability. The Perception Pescador 10 and Wildy Tarpon 100 are probably the least stable of the kayaks you have listed, but the better paddling. If you're sticking to your list I would start with the Pescador Pro 10 or Jackson Cruise. I would also add the Wilderness Ride 115 too, although somewhat heavy. The Pescador Pro 12, although heavier than your 55 lbs ish requirement would be high on list too.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I have used mostly 10 foot and shorter yaks most of my life. with your list of desires I would step up to around 12 feet of yak. The shorter yaks get very slow and sluggish when loaded to within about 20% of their capacity in my opinion. I weigh 210 and have loved my short yaks but adding camping gear or much more than a light tackle box, water and a snack will turn them into barges.