Does 2 ft. Make a lot of difference?

TigerLandSportsman

Does 2 ft. Make a lot of difference?

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

I'm still new to kayak fishing, but I know I'm hooked.

I currently have pescador perception 10.

I planned on waiting till this spring to see if I could get a deal on a 12', because the 10' seems small for my 6'5" body.

I found a deal on a Feel Free Moken 14, but I worry it might be to long.

I like to go down Village Creek, since it is close to my house, but I am definitely interested in a BTB trip. I feel like most of my trips will be big and open water, but I don't want to sacrifice maneuverability.

Any insight?
krfish

Re: Does 2 ft. Make a lot of difference?

Post by krfish »

Two feet does make a big difference in my opinion. More speed and better tracking are advantages. Mine is 13' and that's as big as I'd want to go, but I'm a small guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TG05

Post by TG05 »

Longer should be faster and track better. At 6'5", the main consideration might be your weight. Factor in your weight plus weight of the seat, all gear, cooler, etc., and don't exceed 70% of the stated weight capacity of the kayak.
Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

Your weight might be the major factor since you're so tall. Total up your weight and the weight of the seat and all gear and don't go over 70% of the stated weight capacity for the kayak.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Two extra feet make a big difference in paddling in a straight line, in speed and usually weight capacity. The longer a kayak the faster it is and the easier it is to paddle without the bow wagging from side to side.

The shorter a kayak is the more maneuverable it is and usually the lighter it is. Shorter kayaks do better in the surf.....but, how much time do you spend in the surf? Even paddling a lot BTB you only spend about 1/90th of your time in the surf zone.

For what you stated you will be using the kayak for I agree that 12-14 ft would be your best options.......not counting your size at 6'5"
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

BTB..... I would go with a 14 just for the extra weight capacity.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

yes major difference (6'3" 230 ) i use 12 ft
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

TigerLandSportsman wrote:10' seems small for my 6'5" body.
I have two yaks -- 14' and 12'. In last 1.5 years I was using my 12' Pescador exclusively -- it is perfect for my almost 6'6". Once you get that you don't need 5 rods and 10 pieces of various crap (anchor, etc) -- lack of space is no longer a problem. Easy to paddle, easy to transport. Takes 5 mins to launch.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

X2
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

TigerLandSportsman wrote:...
I planned on waiting till this spring to see if I could get a deal on a 12', because the 10' seems small for my 6'5" body.

I found a deal on a Feel Free Moken 14, but I worry it might be to long.
I'm 5'8" and ~165lbs. My main kayak was a 16' unit. I fished mostly in the bays, some marsh, some BTB. I also spent time fishing for bass on lakes. The smooth glide and speed of the longer kayak made the day more enjoyable.
TigerLandSportsman wrote:I like to go down Village Creek, since it is close to my house, but I am definitely interested in a BTB trip. I feel like most of my trips will be big and open water, but I don't want to sacrifice maneuverability.

Any insight?
When I bought my first kayak 11 years ago, I didn't know anything about kayaks, but I had in my mind that I wanted something like a 10' or 12' unit because that seemed like a size that would be manageable for my newbie self. I'm looking at the 12' and 14' Wilderness Systems Tarpons and talking with the owner at CanoeSport in Houston (now ACK). I then look over see the 16' WS Tarpon 160i. I asked, aside from length, what is the difference between this 16' unit and those shorter Tarpons? He paused and said, "It's like like the difference between riding a 10-speed and a mountain bike. Both are good, but the 10 speed is faster and smoother". I ended up buying 16' WS Tarpon 160i and I loved it. Over time, I also bought a used 14' WS Tarpon, but it was slower and I didn't like it as much as the 16' unit. I sold the 14' unit within a month after buying it.

I fish artificials and I like to cover a lot of ground while I hunt for fish. The longer kayak provides extra glide and increased speed and this suits my style of fishing.

I suggest you goto the ACK Demo Days and find a brand which has the same model in different lengths and paddle them for yourself.
El Gato Diablo

Post by El Gato Diablo »

I know 2" can make a lot of difference.