New to this - need some advice

TexasTiger1978

New to this - need some advice

Post by TexasTiger1978 »

My son has gotten the kayak bug, we have a boat so the majority of his kayak fishing right now will be mother shipping the kayak.

He is 13 and growing fast like most kids do, but he is pretty light only 100lbs. There are a couple of brands he has shown interest in, but I don't know a ton about kayaks so I am coming to the experts.

I think I have settled on a 12ft kayak so its something he can grow into, and if I ever want to borrow it I can be comfortable in it.

We are looking at brands like the
Tarpon 120
Pescador 120
Ascend 12
Vibe 13 - a little larger than I would want but I have found a couple used ones at a decent price.

Am I in the right ball park with my thinking ?? +'s and - 's with brands we are looking at?
Thanks in advance for the advice and help
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Re: New to this - need some advice

Post by Z~MAN »

Tarpon and pescador 12 same mold these r great kayaks to grow into

I depending how long he is this will work

Personally I started my kids on a T100 then graduated them to t120
Since they r narrow not a lot of effort to paddle.

Stay away from wide kayaks for him right now.

Suggest u try befor you buy if you can.

Let's go fishin..coco!
Z-man
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I am putting in a vote for the Perception Tribe yaks. They come in an 9.5 and an 11.5 model. Their pricing is a good bit cheaper than most yaks in that size. They are excellent general purpose yaks. I have the 9.5 and it serves me very well iin salt and fresh. I am 5'-7" and 210# and 70 years old. They are tough I guarantee . The stability is very good and they are easy to paddle at near hull speed.
crusher

Post by crusher »

The first kayak my son used was a T120. I am guessing he was 12 and around a short, skinny 90 pounds or so. He handled it fine on the water. Any one of us adults or kids or a guest can paddle the T120 or Pescador 12 (same basic boat as others said). It's a solid kayak to keep around.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

X2 Z-MAN
krfish

Post by krfish »

I started out in a Pescador. It was a great kayak, and I regret selling it. Pretty simple, but sometimes that's better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

I know this is a late response but if you still in the decision making process,I have a tarpon and a ridex . We can meet somewhere close and let your son paddle around and see which one he likes. These aren't for sale I'm just letting you try them out . Send me a message if interested I live in Rosenberg and we aren't to far away, give me a PM if interested