New to Kayaking

Lost_Philosophy

New to Kayaking

Post by Lost_Philosophy »

Hey y'all,

New to kayaking but have lived in The Woodlands area since '01. Not really into kayak fishing atm (also out of my budget atm haha), but I'm looking forward to paddling the lakes/rivers around here. I love Lake Conroe (north) and want to explore more rivers.

Has anyone tried San Jacinto around the River Plantation exit, or Trinity River by Lake Livingston?
Tombo

Re: New to Kayaking

Post by Tombo »

Welcome, if you want folks to know where you are from, edit your profile to reflect you home territory.
Lost_Philosophy

Tombo wrote:Welcome, if you want folks to know where you are from, edit your profile to reflect you home territory.
Thanks, changed my info.
rono

Post by rono »

Howdy! I live in the Woodlands as well. Took my kayak out for the 1st time last Saturday, on Lake Woodlands. I actually bought mine to fish in the saltwater marshes, but I am open to the nearby fresh water areas. PM me next time you're thinking about going out.
Lost_Philosophy

rono wrote:Howdy! I live in the Woodlands as well. Took my kayak out for the 1st time last Saturday, on Lake Woodlands. I actually bought mine to fish in the saltwater marshes, but I am open to the nearby fresh water areas. PM me next time you're thinking about going out.
What's up! Yeah lake woodlands is good for a short paddle. Did you go up the small creek up north? It goes under Research Forest and continues on a little bit. Small but peaceful little area.

I went out with a couple friends yesterday to Lake Conroe and it was amazing. Almost no wind, so the the water was as calm as I ever saw it. Almost like glass.

http://i.imgur.com/qE2YN0r.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm really bummed because I saw a listing on Craigslist today on a 14.5' Carolina Perception kayak for $400 asking. He sold it as soon as I got off work!! Oh well...another few weeks looking for the right kayak.

Like I said I'm not really into fishing atm because I don't have the gear and was never taught. If you got an extra rod I'd love to see if it's something I want to pursue. I see lots of fish in Conroe!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Lost_Philosophy wrote:
rono wrote:Howdy! I live in the Woodlands as well. Took my kayak out for the 1st time last Saturday, on Lake Woodlands. I actually bought mine to fish in the saltwater marshes, but I am open to the nearby fresh water areas. PM me next time you're thinking about going out.
What's up! Yeah lake woodlands is good for a short paddle. Did you go up the small creek up north? It goes under Research Forest and continues on a little bit. Small but peaceful little area.

I went out with a couple friends yesterday to Lake Conroe and it was amazing. Almost no wind, so the the water was as calm as I ever saw it. Almost like glass.

I'm really bummed because I saw a listing on Craigslist today on a 14.5' Carolina Perception kayak for $400 asking. He sold it as soon as I got off work!! Oh well...another few weeks looking for the right kayak.

Like I said I'm not really into fishing atm because I don't have the gear and was never taught. If you got an extra rod I'd love to see if it's something I want to pursue. I see lots of fish in Conroe!
I have a feeling you will have at least five rod and reel set ups soon. Its what happens when you have an addiction.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Tombo wrote:
Lost_Philosophy wrote:

I have a feeling you will have at least five rod and reel set ups soon. Its what happens when you have an addiction.
Yep, I think so to! To start off you can get an inexpensive spinning rod & real combo ($30.00 or less if you search), some drop shot leaders & hooks, catfish bait or worms or liver and chunk it out there and wait for the catfish to find it. Lake Conroe has the best tasting catfish I have ever had. A lot of them and they put up a great fight! Welcome!
Lost_Philosophy

Cityfisher wrote:
Yep, I think so to! To start off you can get an inexpensive spinning rod & real combo ($30.00 or less if you search), some drop shot leaders & hooks, catfish bait or worms or liver and chunk it out there and wait for the catfish to find it. Lake Conroe has the best tasting catfish I have ever had. A lot of them and they put up a great fight! Welcome!

Haha I know how it goes... I can definitely see myself getting a good rod and reel later because my ultimate goal is to be able to go kayak camping and be able to fish for food. In my mind though the kayaking part is first, which I am still a novice at (in terms of hours spent learning). Once I've got that down I will definitely want to learn how to fish. It's a whole 'nother can of worms!! Literally lol
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Cool! Kayak camping is something I have yet to do. But it's at the top of my bucket list. :)
I've only been kayaking for just over 3 years now. I love to camp and fish, and planning that around kayaking really opened the door to so much more of the outdoors. Do it!
I haven't been to any rivers but want to explore the colorado in columbus sometime to start off with.
Lost_Philosophy

Cityfisher wrote:Cool! Kayak camping is something I have yet to do. But it's at the top of my bucket list. :)
I've only been kayaking for just over 3 years now. I love to camp and fish, and planning that around kayaking really opened the door to so much more of the outdoors. Do it!
I haven't been to any rivers but want to explore the colorado in columbus sometime to start off with.
Yeah it definitely adds a whole other layer to camping/fishing. I was thinking about trying the Trinity River that feeds off Lake Livingston. But the more "classic" rivers I think in TX are the Colorado and Guadalupe rivers that run in the hill country near Austin.

I haven't been on a real river yet but do plan on it in the new year.
Lollipop
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Lollipop »

Lost_Philosophy, I like your handle. In 2004 I attended a TP&W workshop on fishing in the flats. 6 weeks later I bought a new kayak and figured I would never buy another kayak. That was the Good Ship Lollipop. I still have that kayak, but until my son-in-law took half of them off my hands this summer, I had 18 kayaks. I fished, but learned that I preferred teaching people to kayak over catching big fish. That is heresy on this site. When I was 70, I was still challenging and beating teenage boys in kayak races because I took time to learn how to paddle. Most kayak fishermen do not take the time to learn to paddle efficiently. That is also heresy on this site. Now I do not get to kayak much any more because a project in Haiti is taking up a majority of my time.

When you buy a kayak, assume that you will upgrade within a year or so. That way you do not have to spend so much on your first kayak.

Decide what you want to do with kayaking and learn as much as you can. There are lots of people who are willing to help you.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

baytown nature center
Lost_Philosophy

Lollipop wrote:Lost_Philosophy, I like your handle. In 2004 I attended a TP&W workshop on fishing in the flats. 6 weeks later I bought a new kayak and figured I would never buy another kayak. That was the Good Ship Lollipop. I still have that kayak, but until my son-in-law took half of them off my hands this summer, I had 18 kayaks. I fished, but learned that I preferred teaching people to kayak over catching big fish. That is heresy on this site. When I was 70, I was still challenging and beating teenage boys in kayak races because I took time to learn how to paddle. Most kayak fishermen do not take the time to learn to paddle efficiently. That is also heresy on this site. Now I do not get to kayak much any more because a project in Haiti is taking up a majority of my time.

When you buy a kayak, assume that you will upgrade within a year or so. That way you do not have to spend so much on your first kayak.

Decide what you want to do with kayaking and learn as much as you can. There are lots of people who are willing to help you.
I've seen/read enough info where I do know most people trade in their first kayak within 6 months to a year. Since I've already kayaked a bunch and know I love it I'm planning on buying a yak that will last me at least a couple years. I'm planning on buying a 14+ foot sit in touring kayak that will let me surf a few rivers but also let me travel the Florida coast as well in the future. And since fishing isn't a priority for me I can live with the smaller deck, also I'm not that large of a guy so it shouldn't be a problem!

I definitely also agree on learning to paddle/understand the motion of a touring kayak before getting into legit fishing. I think I can skip that step in buying a cheaper yak and just move on to the intermediate stage because I've done it enough where I believe I wouldn't be making a big purchase for nothing.
The Eradicator
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by The Eradicator »

To get a rod and reel you can hit pawn shops but don't buy until you go home and look them up. In time you will get a good deal with some bargaining.

A faster method is to go to academy and buy two combos. Usually a combo is either a good rod with a crappy reel or a crappy rod with a good reel. Buy a Penn combo for about $90 and a Shakespeare tiger rod combo. Swap the reels so the Penn is on the Tiger. Great catfish setup. The other rod is good for perch or crappie. I bought my dad a Berkley glow stick at Walmart and put a Penn on it for Christmas and that is a similar setup for catfish, works really well.

One of the easiest ways to get started is to put a slip weight on your line, tie on a quick connect swivel, put a 7/O circle hook on and bait it with raw gulf caught shrimp of the smallest size from the grocery store.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

There is a lot of ponds in the Woodlands that hold bass. Off of Woodlands Parkway going west, there is a big pond that my buddy use to catch lots of bass.
Lost_Philosophy

Just wanted to update you guys.

Took a trip up to Austin and bought a Perception Carolina 14' off craigslist. What's even better is that it came with a pair of Thule crossbar racks, the kayak attachments for the rack, PFD, bilge, and the yak already had a scotty rod attachment!! Glad I waited 3-4 months to find the right listing before buying.

Was out on Lake Conroe from Cagle Rec and it was performing like a dream! The keel looks a little bent around the cockpit but it doesn't seem to hinder my performance too much. This boat must be around 8-10 years old.

Anyway I saw two weird dead fish just floating around. Is that normal? They didn't have any markings or signs of lacerations.

skyhigh

Post by skyhigh »

Glad to see this community. I'm about to enter the hobby as well. Will be moving to Lake Murray this coming month or so.
usrdk

Post by usrdk »

Lost_Philosophy wrote:
Cityfisher wrote:Cool! Kayak camping is something I have yet to do. But it's at the top of my bucket list. :)
Yeah it definitely adds a whole other layer to camping/fishing. I was thinking about trying the Trinity River that feeds off Lake Livingston. But the more "classic" rivers I think in TX are the Colorado and Guadalupe rivers that run in the hill country near Austin.

If you're thinking about Kayak camping you probably all ready know space is at a premium. If you don't already have one yet let me make a recommendation on a little shelter that works great for me. Super compact and when ready to sleep just let it pop open and you're ready to sleep under the stars. No need to spend hundreds for expensive back packing tents. I'm 6'2 and it still has room for you taller folks
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... ?a=1902300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

usrdk wrote:
Lost_Philosophy wrote:

If you're thinking about Kayak camping you probably all ready know space is at a premium. If you don't already have one yet let me make a recommendation on a little shelter that works great for me. Super compact and when ready to sleep just let it pop open and you're ready to sleep under the stars. No need to spend hundreds for expensive back packing tents. I'm 6'2 and it still has room for you taller folks

I like that! Thanks for the link.
Lost_Philosophy

usrdk wrote:
Lost_Philosophy wrote:

Yeah I bought an ENO hammock from REI awhile back. I'm thinking if I go camping I'll do it kinda like how Trip does it on Sailing and Such (youtube channel). I need to get a rain cover and stuff but really I'm just doing day trips right now, building my way up to real kayak camping!

I looked up "best mods" for kayaks and I found a good idea to put those non-slip mats that you put in kitchen drawers in the hatch compartments so stuff doesn't shift around. I got to use my anchor the other day and it was nice not having to worry about floating around if I want to just sit in one place and tend to whatever needs my attention.

I think one of my next purchases will be a travel seat, one that is light and small and can fit in the hatch obviously.

Here's a pic I took of my hammock set up in Austin. Didn't have a place to stay so I just chilled at the park near the river!
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

A cheap 12' trap and some rope to support it works in a pinch for a cover till you can get a better fly down the road

Lost_Philosophy

Coastal Country wrote:A cheap 12' trap and some rope to support it works in a pinch for a cover till you can get a better fly down the road

I figured a rain cover is basically that. Is there more to it?? Looks like you're also using a sleeping bag while in the hammock. How is that?

I went out again on Lake Conroe today, perfect weather! A little choppy when I first launched, but by the end of the day it was calmer.

Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

I went up to Stubblefield area last weekend. My son and good friend met me Sunday morn. I camped at the park an scouted Saturday after settleing in.
Beautiful yakking and fishing out there. Those are some great photos.
Love it.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

Lost_Philosophy wrote:
Coastal Country wrote:A cheap 12' trap and some rope to support it works in a pinch for a cover till you can get a better fly down the road

I figured a rain cover is basically that. Is there more to it?? Looks like you're also using a sleeping bag while in the hammock. How is that?
A rain cover is going to be lighter and more packable then a tarp and are cut to fit a hammock better. There is hammock specific quilts (top quilts in the hammock and under quilts that hug the bottom of the hammock, YouTube Derek Hansen of ultimate hang. Tons of info) but for most of the year in Texas a sleeping pad and a sleeping bag opened except for the foot end over me does the trick. I don't get into the sleeping bag per say I just use it like a blanket and the bottom barely zipped acts like a foot box so it stays in place.