Best bang for my buck...

3rd Coast Angler

Best bang for my buck...

Post by 3rd Coast Angler »

Looking to get into to kayak fishing. Will mostly be fishing the marshes. I'm a big guy (280 lbs) and am looking for something fairly stable... any suggestions of a kayak that won't break the bank? Thanks in advance :)
Tombo

Re: Best bang for my buck...

Post by Tombo »

Buy used, sometimes you get some extra stuff thrown in. Ride 135 comes to mind first, but I am not up to date on the rest of the kayaks.
Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

You will want something with at least a 550-600 lb weight capacity. Factor in your weight plus the weight of all gear, seat, cooler, etc. You don't want to exceed about 70% of the stated weight capacity, otherwise performance will suffer and you'll be pushing the safety limits. Demo if you can, and practice reentry with whatever you get.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Tallgrass07 wrote:You will want something with at least a 550-600 lb weight capacity. Factor in your weight plus the weight of all gear, seat, cooler, etc. You don't want to exceed about 70% of the stated weight capacity, otherwise performance will suffer and you'll be pushing the safety limits. Demo if you can, and practice reentry with whatever you get.
Good, solid advice!
3rd Coast Angler

Post by 3rd Coast Angler »

Thanks fellas! Will definitely take all this advice into consideration
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

Big Game 2, is my choice, followed by a Diablo. Saw one on craigslist for a decent price.
shane77624

Post by shane77624 »

Where ya at? I've a Nucanoe Frontier 12 that is phenomenal. If you are close we can go to the lake and let you try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TG Canoes and Kayaks

Post by TG Canoes and Kayaks »

Howdy 3rd Coast,
The wrong kayak breaks the bank. The right kayak saves precious time paddling the wrong kayak, making it a 20 year bargain. The replies for big kayaks are good. Add to the list the Jackson Big Rig (you can dance on it), and the new Jackson Mayfly (pro fishing kayak angler Chris Fowler is 325# and, after paddling it for 2 hours, has one on order). If you have questions about any of the kayaks discussed, we sell them and have sold them. Buying used is normally a good thing. I won't blow smoke at you. Enjoy the day.

adios,
Duane TG
512-353-3946
Big Tex

Post by Big Tex »

I'm 6'3" and 325 lbs and have a Jackson Big Rig. I had an OK Predator for a bit and it was very uncomfortable for me. I can stand up and paddle and fish from the Big Rig with no problem. The seat is very comfortable as well. I have back problems and it is the best seat I've sat in. The Hobie seat looks comfy, but I have not tried it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro