Whats a good kayak rack for my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?

JonHibbs

Whats a good kayak rack for my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?

Post by JonHibbs »

I have a Hobie 12' Pro Angler and a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited... I need a rack to haul the kayak but I don't know which one to get. Should I just invest in a trailer?
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Whats a good kayak rack for my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?

Post by txspeck »

I have a 2013 jeep wrangler and had the same concerns. I looked at several racks but decided to purchase a trailer. I didn't want to lift a Hobie PA 14 onto a rack after fishing all day. I looked on craigslist and found a used jet ski trailer for $300 and added 4" PVC for the glides. It's so easy to load and unload if you go this route. Below is a picture of the trailer with a Solo Skiff I used to own but now use it for the PA with no issues. Good Luck.
Attachments
trailer.jpg
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Its a nice problem to have. I have more questions than answers.
Is it a hard top?
Is a trailer an option?
Those are some heavy kayaks/boats to lift on top of anything. The price of a rack for those two kayaks can exceed the cost of a trailer.
You must be younger than I, lifting kayaks of that weight on top of anything.
I did not like salt water dripping on top of my vehicle.
Let us know more about your situation. It can be done. What comes to mind is a rack with rails going to the ground that crank up your kayak. The rack must be substantial to hold two kayaks. You can easily damage your Pro Anglers if you lift it wrong, meaning the rudder.
My trailer doubles its use for carrying stuff like PVC pipe, wood , poles etc..
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by on a mission »

Lighter yak? I throw mine on top with or without top on. Then spray it out. Its a Jeep!
robjm09

Post by robjm09 »

I have a hardtop 2 door 08' wrangler x. I put my ascend fs12t in the inside no problem. Used to have a pelican apex 100 and that fit like a glove. Don't have to lift it or worry about a trailer. I put the backseat down and the front passenger seat forward all the way, then I slide the kayak in upside down at an angle towards the passenger seat, lift it so I can close the gate, and that's it. Just strap her down and you are good to go. I usually tie her to the spare tire and the roll bars. I usually fish solo because of how often I am out on the water (close to daily), with that being said... I have thought about a rack also, but it is a hassle to lift by myself, and a trailer maybe a good idea, but I am not wanting to cover the extra costs involved. Since I am transporting my kayak almost daily, I found keeping it on the inside was my best option. Also, I don't know where I would keep a small trailer, I like to keep my jeep and kayak in the garage. No room for a trailer yet.

And I agree with @on a mission. Its a Jeep!! Don't worry about getting it dirty lol
RunninKurt

Post by RunninKurt »

I have a '16 2 door soft top. I am saving for a Barracade Roof rack ($399)

Not too worried about mounting it to the rack, just need something up there that is sturdier than the bows of the soft top.