First Trip Out 10/31

Fishin'Coastie

First Trip Out 10/31

Post by Fishin'Coastie »

Been looking into kayak fishing for a little while now and decided to buy a yak. My father-in-law took the plunge with me and decided to get one too.
Since I had the day off and he's retired we planned a trip out. With this being our first trip we headed to Kemah to stay close.
We launched under the bridge and fished the channel for a while with only a hardheaded and some sandies.
Decided to move to more protected water, so we took out the kayaks and launched on the other side where I've seen others in kayaks and wade fishing.
There were tons of shad everywhere. We moved all around catching more sandies and hardheads. My father-in-law caught an under sized flounder. I had a keeper flounder on and right when I was about to flip him onto the boat he shook his head and spit the hook.
It was nice to be out on the water like that. I understand the addiction!
Can't wait to get back out again and find new spots and put some real fish in the boat.
I did run into another kayaker on the water who was super nice. Thanks for the info Matt.
crusher

Re: First Trip Out 10/31

Post by crusher »

Use a net for flounder and keep him in the water....guide him in to the net. This should lessen the spit hooks at the boat - they're good at that.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If you have no net...Do a "figure eight" witht he fish on near the boat. They are easily distracted and keeping them moving keeps them from trashing. Once you get it close to boat after calming it down and lift it quickly and set it down fast. Easy!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I try to read all posters about their first trip. I still remember my first time on the water with a kayak.
Fishin'Coastie

Post by Fishin'Coastie »

Thanks for the tips.
I'll be sure to remember for the next time.
Thinking about heading out again on Friday if the weather holds up.
hillbillie

Post by hillbillie »

Your on the right track. There's an art to catching flounder. Pat yourself on the back if you hooked one and got it to the boat on your first trip. X-2 on keeping them in the water. I enjoy eating them so much I net them all. Have A Blessed Week