Looking at some diffferent rigs, need input

Remmy

Looking at some diffferent rigs, need input

Post by Remmy »

Allright somewhat new to the kayaking world but have been canoeing for a long time just switching over to personal rigs. I am looking to make some overnight/2 night trips with friends and the wife, anything from the Brazos to the devils type rivers. I want btwn a 12-13' kayak for myself and will prb stick with a 12 footer for my wife, something a little easier for her to handle. I would like to keep it around a grand for myself and a little under for my wife. I am looking hard at the vibe seaghost 130 or a mokken 12.5. Are they thinner than other kayaks? Would make some devils trips without a prb? also looking at the old town predator `13, or a jackson coosa HD for myself. I'm 6'2, 250. I don't care all that much about standing up and fishing but want something that is not a table top to paddle in some wind. I want my hatches to be dry when camping. Would these make good choices for boats for myself? think i may go with a Tarpon 120 for the wife, seems like a good boat for her. Appreciate the help in advance, this is worse than buying a new bow, too many choices!!
bearkat9293

Re: Looking at some diffferent rigs, need input

Post by bearkat9293 »

Look at the Frontier or Pursuit from NuCanoe. Both would be good for packing gear

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Since Aggroman does a lot of what you describe, it might be good to send him a PM for his input.
Newt556

Post by Newt556 »

I have a moken 12.5 and I have run many rivers/creeks here that have a lot of Indian shoals, rocks and even class 2 water my moken has held up wonderfully. Only thing about the moken 12.5 is it doesnt have a lounge chair type seat. I wish they would make that happen it would be a perfect kayak then. If you intend on really long trips/ hours at a time in a seat go with a Kayak with a lounge chair type seat. Jackson Kayaks excel in river kayaking cant go wrong with a Jackson I just wish they wasnt so pricey.