Thinking about Buying a Solo Skiff

vinnyv99

Thinking about Buying a Solo Skiff

Post by vinnyv99 »

ok lets start here. I sold my boat recently very sad day . I have always wanted a kayak so i thought here is my chance since i am now boatless. So I started looking around found a few i liked then I came across the Solo Skiff. It caught my eye, I looked into it and i am very interested . here comes the problem. The guys I fish with have kayaks. Dont think they mix real well . I dont want to go out and get one and be Solo. So i dont know what to do . I like the idea behind the Solo Skiff , big kayak with a motor. I know it wont replace my boat but i think it is the best of both worlds. so i wanted to hear for you who may have a skiff . the good the bad . Am i thinking to much into it to me fishing with friends is half the fun . What do ya think any advice welcome
TexasJim

Re: Thinking about Buying a Solo Skiff

Post by TexasJim »

I like most things about the SoloSkiff, but the narrow beam and high center of gravity make it scary to me. I have an antique 12-foot flat-bottom aluminum rowboat with a 5.5 Antique Johnson Twin on it. Even with the hard chines, it's very tender and tippy, initially. It HATES quartering seas. I run it at 10 to 12 MPH. With the SoloSkiff, and its' round hull shape, skinny beam and high CG, I would be very uneasy in it. Try before you buy!

If I hadn't inherited my Dad's 1959 skiff, I would have bought a Force Five(or Laser) sailboat and built it into a SoloSkiff copy, but with a foot more beam. Also, the Force Five has (almost) hard chines.

Good luck! TexasJim
cpane

Post by cpane »

Where are you taking it?? and what part of town do you live in??
vinnyv99

Post by vinnyv99 »

I mostly fish around Texas city, west bay up through Chocolate Bayou . Those are my salt water fishing spots . As for fresh water I live around lake conroe ,every now and then up and down the trinity river . As far as lake conroe goes I would more use this on the fishing part of the lake not to much to cross the lake because Conroe is worse than the bay on a windy day . I also thought to hit other places I couldn't go in my boat cause my boat was kinda heavy .
hillbillie

Post by hillbillie »

It sounds to me like you should also look at a kayak with a trolling motor. My two main reasons are stealth, and the peace and quiet that comes with a trolling motor or paddle. I myself use a Nucanoe. There is a dealer on Spring cypress called Outback Kayaks that has both. I would definitely try before you buy anything.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

I had one for 4 months and sold it. No room, felt tippy on the sides. Went back to my Hobie PA.